Does Radio 1 play any music?

Colin 12:45 24 Feb 11

I know they do, but when ever I tune in it just seems to be a load of adults who never grown up, larking around. On my way to work I go through various music stations and I’ve never heard any music being played on the Chris Moyle’s show and in the afternoon it’s Sara Cox talking piffle with her “mates”. I must be getting old!

Quickbeam 12:47 24 Feb 11

Not once you've reached the age at which you turn into your dad.

Colin 12:50 24 Feb 11

I think I turned into my Dad at 16!

Clapton is God 12:51 24 Feb 11

Radio 1 has NEVER played music.

Quickbeam 12:55 24 Feb 11

When radio 1 was first introduced it was a breath of fresh air for the younger generation (me at the time). It probably still is, but seeing as I've already made the transition into my dad, I can't possibly comment with any credibility, as is the case which CIG has just proven!

Clapton is God 13:17 24 Feb 11

Let me rephrase that:

Radio 1 has NEVER played REAL music.

With regard to music taste, luckily I never turned into my Dad.

bremner 13:29 24 Feb 11

It has certainly played a great deal of Eric Clapton's music over the years

Clapton is God 13:31 24 Feb 11

Which must have been after I stopped listening to it, approximately 200 years ago

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:34 24 Feb 11

'Radio 1 has NEVER played REAL music'...oh dearie, dearie me. Two words John + Peel.

G

Quickbeam 13:38 24 Feb 11

Real music is in the ear of the beholder surely.

I can no longer listen to radio 1, but I accept that it's not aimed at my age group. So I listen to the DAB stations which have loads of rock content that does suit me.

If you're referring to the 90% commercial content of daytime national radio, well, that's the nature of mainstream primetime radio, and always will be.

But in the late '60s, the commercial playlist of the new Radio 1 gave me something new that was mine, something my parents wouldn't listen to. A real teenage radio station that didn't exist until Radio 1 came along.

Seth Haniel 14:58 24 Feb 11

through the car audio system - my music without the banter - and I agree with Colin - can flip through all the channels on my drive to work and find no music - just daft 'schoolboy/girl' banter and adverts

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…