Does Milliband really not understand?

spider9 17:10 04 Sep 14
Answered

I was amazed to see today, on the BBC website

"He also claimed the SNP would continue Tory policies after independence".

Surely Milliband must know that if there is a Yes vote, we carry on as now, with the SNP government, but only for the 18 months until the Scottish General Election, when it is most likely a Labour government would be returned in Holyrood, since SNP would have achieved it's aim (and possibly slip away to oblivion).

How can a main party leader not see that his assumption of an SNP government is ludicrous? The Yes campaign is not all SNP voters, most are just people from all (or no) parties who wish to have power over their own affairs. No wonder Labour are worried - UK wide - if this is the level of understanding of it's leader!

BBC site

Aitchbee 21:11 04 Sep 14

spider9, I totally agree with your sentiments regarding Milliband's viewpoint. Crocodile tears are being shed all-over-the-place.And as for Cameron, he has also stated that he will be personally 'broken-hearted' if Scotland decides on a YES vote. What a laugh!

BTW, I will be crying tears-of-joy if it's a YES vote - and no, I haven't put any money on a YES result - in case you were wonderin.'

spider9 09:58 05 Sep 14

"as for Cameron, he has also stated that he will be personally 'broken-hearted' if Scotland decides on a YES vote"

That thought alone will probably galvanise even more Scots to vote Yes, I reckon!!

morddwyd 11:14 05 Sep 14
Answer

Exactly so.

I will repeat my comment. Scotland has voted Labour in every General Election since 1959, more than half a century, and there's no reason to suppose that will change anytime soon.

At the last General Election only one constituent part of the UK voted Tory, but each part is now ruled by that English majority.

Milliband can say what he likes, but the Westminster government is chosen by the built in English majority. I'm not complaining about that, that's democracy within the Union. It's just that it is not a very fair union.

Any, it's all over now. Paisley (Ian not Glasgow) has come out against a Yes vote.

Game over!

morddwyd 11:28 05 Sep 14

Incidentally, I've already cast my vote. Actually I've cast two, for I have my wife's proxy.

One for each side as her views are different to mine, bit of a waste, but democracy must be served.

spider9 15:02 05 Sep 14

morddwyd

" only one constituent part of the UK voted Tory,"

I'm sure you meant "Scotland" - not the UK !!

I see that Thatcher's old Scottish Secretaries have issued a joint statement urging a No. They were the ones who oversaw the Poll Tax - aye the Scots will surely believe them!! Another 'own goal' I suspect (will they never learn?).

Joseph Kerr 11:45 07 Sep 14

I shouldn't think ANYBODY was, AITCHBEE.

YES...YES...OHHHHH, YES!

spider9 12:24 07 Sep 14

Sounds like the No side are finally putting together some extra devolved powers to offer to the Scots (running very scared springs to mind!).

If only they had done this months ago the neck and neck scenario would never have developed - but of course it depends on what is cobbled together in the next few days, and, of course, whether Scots will believe anything now offered. Sounds like bribery.

Gordon Brown is now blaming the Tories, internecine warfare breaking out?

Milliband suggested there would be border guards - but quickly retracted!

Shambolic! Just giving the Yes side more ammunition.

fourm member 16:44 07 Sep 14

As far as borders are concerned, it is clear that it isn't Miliband who doesn't understand.

An independent country sharing a landmass with another independent country must, by definition, have a border between them.

The two countries have independent control of their side of that border. It doesn't matter what one country wants, the other country is free to decide how its border operates.

In 1973, Rhodesia unilaterally closed its border with Zambia. A month later, it re-opened it but Zambia said 'up yours' and closed its side. And it stayed closed for over seven years.

Leave aside the philosophical problem of saying 'we want to be an independent country but we don't want any control over who comes and goes'.

spider9 17:26 07 Sep 14

fourm member

Welcome back.

With all due respect, my original "Does Milliband really not understand" was nothing at all to do with 'borders' but was about his understanding of the political grasp of what would happen regarding SNP holding power after a Yes vote.

Forum Editor 17:34 07 Sep 14

"Milliband suggested there would be border guards - but quickly retracted!"

He can retract all he likes, but technically there would be border controls, as fourm member says.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…