Does the internet seem faster today?

CurlyWhirly 17:19 25 Dec 04

I have been browsing the net today and nearly *everything* seems quicker from downloading files to general browsing!
I wonder whether it *may* have anything to do with more people cutting down on their internet access to spend more time with their families?!

If this *is* the case then it would explain it!

Charence 17:36 25 Dec 04

Hmmm...well I'm online at the moment and so are quite a few people on MSN, but I guess many people in the UK will be travelling to their relatives or be hosting some sort of event for visitors, etc. Therefore people don't have the time to go online or switch on their PCs, unless their digital cameras run out of memory.

The internet doesn't seem much quicker, however, the loading of pages of PCA seems a lot quicker.

Charence

CurlyWhirly 17:39 25 Dec 04

The internet doesn't seem much quicker, however, the loading of pages of PCA seems a lot quicker.

Yeah, I forgot about that. These PCA pages must be on turbo mode! lol

spikeychris 17:50 25 Dec 04

The Internet does slow down during peak periods as everyone is requesting data or sending data across the expanses of networks, backbones, and routers, which comprise the Internet. Some Web site servers are too slow to provide fast service all of the time so you do get a fluctuation at peak and off peak times. This will however depend on your ISP as there will always be someone awake and using the net somewhere in the world. In 1997 this site click here ran some tests but things have changes a tad since then.

CurlyWhirly 17:52 25 Dec 04

Thanks for the link. Merry Xmas!

powerless 01:34 26 Dec 04

*I wonder whether it *may* have anything to do with more people cutting down on their internet access to spend more time with their families?!*

Oh yes, i would say yes to that!

jack 10:26 26 Dec 04

Certainly something has changed during the past year.

I you all recall, this time last year some mails [From Oz in my case] were taking a week to come through and when checked upon - revealed that they had been 'stored' here and there

DANZIG 11:53 26 Dec 04

Could be something to do with the fact that a lot of workplaces are closed for the festive period (Not mine worse luck!) which must have some effect on the amount of traffic on the 'net.

Forum Editor 12:10 26 Dec 04

hundreds of thousands of businesses are closed for the holiday, and the resultant huge decrease in internet traffic means that you can move around a bit faster on your home machine.

CurlyWhirly 12:12 26 Dec 04

So my hunch was right!

Forum Editor 12:32 26 Dec 04

it was.

A lot depends on the area in which you live, and times zones come into it as well. We're all currently hearing about the awful events that followed the huge earthquake beneath the Indian Ocean. The aftermath of this catastrophe will generate a massive increase in Internet traffic throughout the South-East Asia region as individuals and organisations create millions of emails. This traffic surge will immediately be detectable throughout the region and beyond.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…