Does the Freedom of Information Act apply to

Sapins 09:52 03 Apr 07

charities? I would like to know exactly where the money goes from Red Nose day and Children in Need etc:

anskyber 09:55 03 Apr 07

Mostly no. click here

Sapins 10:00 03 Apr 07

Thanks for that, so, we can't find out where the money goes as they do not tell us.

anskyber 10:27 03 Apr 07

I think they are bound by Charities rules click here but I cannot say for certain they must reveal information.

You could always ask them and see if they are prepared to give you the information you seek.

MichelleC 10:39 03 Apr 07

I believe huge chunks of money raised for charities never reaches the people it's meant to. It gets swallowed up in admin, and in the cases where money is raised for African countries it often goes into the pockets of their politicians.

Our previous ambassador in Kenya, Sir Edward Clay, was privvy to information that £millions given to their government for charitable causes ended up in private bank accounts in the UK. He spoke openly to the Kenyan government about this problem and was subsequently shunted back to the UK.

It's for this very reason I rarely give money to charities, prefering instead to offer my services in some way. I find this more satisfying than donating money. And I've given loads of dosh over the years.

I understand why these media-fuelled charitable fund-raising extravaganders are presented, like Red Nose day. It's designed to make us all feel less guilty for those less fortunate and pulls the whole country together in some national good feel-factor act. But I've become more cynical over the years.

royalflush 10:59 03 Apr 07

& thats just one reason why i WILL NEVER support "Red Nose Day" & "Children in need" there organisations that due to here nature have volenteer's running the whole company so's that what money is raised is given to those who need it & NOT people who work for them or "Sub-Contractors" ect its a whole Farse

recap 11:33 03 Apr 07

The links provided by anskyber says it all, working for a small charity myself, we are not obliged to divulge any information to individuals, only to the funding body that granted us the funds and naturally our members. Any donations have to be declared as just that and have to be accounted for in the correct way.

You can view accounts of charities on the Charity Commission site click here for the accounts of Children in Need Ltd Year Ended 30 Sept 2003.

namtas 11:57 03 Apr 07

If they are a registered charity then they have to file accounts with the charity commissioners, their are various rules regarding disclosure of funds, you will usually need the registered charity number to do the search.

I work for Lions Clubs International of which there is a branch in most towns, We are very proud that every pound in the bucket goes to the charity, there is no administration charges on the charity accounts

Cymro. 12:28 03 Apr 07

I dare say that most charities are honest enough about their

dealings, but rather top-heavy with expensive administration.

Kate B 12:32 03 Apr 07

There's an argument, though, that says charities need to pay experienced professional fundraisers - despite the increased overhead, more money goes to the cause. Good admin is crucial to any business, especially one that seeks to send money to a good cause. Rubbish admin done by amateurs could result in money being diverted, not being used efficiently etc.

recap 12:53 03 Apr 07

Kate B, I agree with you to a point in regards to experienced professional fundraisers. These fundraisers (or Project Coordinators) could be funded from an external source. They could also work on a no win no pay agreement, which does happen. In such cases, the fundraiser adds a percentage to the funding application for their costs. Mind you, some funding bodies do not support this practice. Charities can apply for Core funding, if granted then the fundraiser could be paid from this pot of money.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced