Does anyone still partition drives anymore?

WhiteTruckMan 01:08 24 Sep 06

I'm prompted to ask this by a recent thread in the helproom asking how to get rid of a partition. It doesnt seem all that long ago when I was in the habit of chopping 20 gig drives into 4 logical ones. I reasoned that it would help me in my never ending quest to keep my files in some sort of order. Unfortunately, I tend to be a bit of a data packrat and hate throwing anything away, so certain drives started filling up, then I would end up moving things...and well, you can guess the rest. So nowadays I just dont bother, but does anyone else still do it?

WTM

robgf 01:19 24 Sep 06

Hi,
I always split my drive into two partitions, OS on one and the My Documents, saved installers and OS images on the other.
It allows me to get the computer up and running again, very quickly, in the case of a problem.

Of course I still need to backup to DVD, but my documents aren't usually that important, so backing up them up to DVD, once a month is sufficient.

Mind you, if I had two internal HDs, I wouldn't bother partitioning.

Rob. :)

siouxah1 09:48 24 Sep 06

Yes, I always partition my hard drives. Maybe a little "old school".
I partition so that house keeping such as:-

defrag
search
AV scans etc

Are quick and easy. Also these scans can be spread over time. Even with three drives in my main machine I still partition. Usually divided in two or three partitions depending on size.

This is my way of doing it, so there is no point anyone telling me otherwise. :-)

Brian

lisa02 09:56 24 Sep 06

Yes usually.

But not now, when I bought my PC I was told it had 300GB of storage. In reality it was actually 2 x 160Gb SATA drives. I use one for apps & the OS and all my other stuff on D drive.

VoG II 10:58 24 Sep 06

No - I can't see the point.

anskyber 11:06 24 Sep 06

No. My PC came with a partition for the OS restore facility, but otherwise no.

leo49 11:45 24 Sep 06

Yes - I can't see the point not to.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:46 24 Sep 06

I fail to see any point in partitioning and anyone who partitions in place of an an external HD is bonkers. Modern computers do not benefit from any extra speed and if you use a drive image programme such as Acronis you will be up and running quickly in the UNLIKELY event of a huge disaster. You can run applications from an external HD without any noticeable loss of speed.

Having a separate partition for 'applications' on the same drive in case of disaster recovery is just downright gormless because if anything happens to your windows install you would have to reinstall them. Using the same disk to keep partitions is probably the No.1 silliest choice with regards to the safety of your 'data'. If Windows gets corrupted to the point where the partitions are inaccessible it will most likely be the result of a HD failure and you partitions will be useless and you will be royally rogered.

1) Stop faffing around, get rid of your partitions and buy an external HD.

2) There are many posts of the variety 'I tried to partition my HD and now woe is me!'.

3) In the old days of computing partitioning was a necessity but the last time I checked we were in 2006.

G

VoG II 11:53 24 Sep 06

GANDALF <|:-)>

That's what I was going to say but I had something urgent to attend to :o)

SANTOS7 11:59 24 Sep 06

I fail to see any point in partitioning and anyone who partitions in place of an an external HD is bonkers.
Perhaps GANDALF <|:-)> thats how some people like them, including me, and i am far from bonkers and i do not faff around.
I have two HDDs which are partitioned as i want them the slave drive contains backups/progs i may want to reinstall and so on.
taking into consideration how many people on here cannot access their external HDD for some reason or another makes point (2) of your post an unfair comment.
I might add that not everyone can afford external HDDs so they have to do what they think best..

Forum Editor 12:02 24 Sep 06

I never partition drives because there's no advantage in doing so. Everyone should have a systematic data backup routine for critical data files, there's no point in keeping work in separate partitions. Separate directories (and sub-directories) on the hard drive will do the job just as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now