Does anybody know anything about central heating

acceptmyname 17:18 06 Jan 08

When i got out of bed this morning i noticed that my radiators downstairs were cold but my rads upstairs were hot i have tried to bleed my downstairs radiators but this did not resolve the matter i think it may be my pump from my water tank that needs replacing

Has anybody else ever had this problem and how the remedyed it.

Any advive greatly appreciated

john bunyan 17:23 06 Jan 08

Sounds like your central heating pump is not working. If you put a large plastic handled screwdriver on it and youe ear to the end of the handle you should hear it rotating. a replacement is not too expensive. Make sure elecricity to pump is "on" !

acceptmyname 17:25 06 Jan 08

I dont have to put the screwdriver on it i can here rortating from about 3 inches away.

Yep electricity to pump is on

john bunyan 17:29 06 Jan 08

Can you hear water moving through the pipes - the pump may be rotating but not actually pumping.

john bunyan 17:29 06 Jan 08

Can you hear water moving through the pipes - the pump may be rotating but not actually pumping.

acceptmyname 17:34 06 Jan 08

yeah i think that my be the problem the pump is not actually pumping altho i know copper is very conductive the pipe that come from the pump and goes down through the floor is so hot i cant even touch it thus making me think there is water in it

oresome 17:37 06 Jan 08

If the pump is running, it may still be an airlock as you first thought.

Air normally collects at a high point. Try bleeding all the upstairs radiators as well as all the downstairs ones.

Make sure the header tank has water in it. The ball cock sometimes sticks in the closed position and water lost in the system is not them replenished.

It could be a blockage in the system that will require flushing out.

john bunyan 17:40 06 Jan 08

I had a similar problem and it was the pump. Luckily I have a Central heating insurance and a regular service arrangement so was able to get the pump replaced on the insurance - it was not that expensive, though. Good luck and I hope you solve the problem.

octal 17:41 06 Jan 08

If it's a Grundfos Pump they sometimes have a brass plug on top, if you unscrew it there is a hex slot inside that can be turned to get the pump moving if it's jammed.

Bingalau 17:57 06 Jan 08

If you are going to bleed the radiators do it when the system has been turned off for an hour or so.. I believe you get rid of more air in this way..

acceptmyname 17:58 06 Jan 08

oresome i wil have to get the ladder out anfd look in the loft for your suggestion thanks for advice,

John bunyan thabks for all the advice.

Octal would the plug be about 20mm and have screwdriver slot the same length as it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017