The Doctor's Surgery

realist 19:18 09 Oct 07

Had the galling experience of phoning my doctor's surgery today.

First annoyance is the loooong pre-recorded message you have no choice but to listen to before you reach humankind. This covers such matters as making and un-making appointments and the joys of NHS Direct. It's a sick joke (excuse the pun) that at the very end of the "advice" you're told what to do if it's an emergency.

Fortunately it wasn't an emergency, and eventually a receptionist answered.

Can I have a repeat prescription for something I was given a long time ago that isn't on my list? Oh yes, no problem, was the reply, so I began to give my details....Oh no, you'll have to write she said you can't order it over the phone! You'll have to come to the sugery and make a written request, or post one to us.

So much for a 21st Century health service.

wiz-king 19:39 09 Oct 07

The bit that annoys me is 'press 1 for an appointment', 'press 2 to get test results after 10.30', press 3 for... I cant press any of them - my works PBX wont take any more digits so I have to wait through the whole options list, and some, before I get an answer. Its the same with any of the automatic queueing systems... grr.

spuds 19:45 09 Oct 07

A written request for a supply of past dispensed items. Our surgery would suggest that you made an appointment to see a doctor, before agreeing to supply such item. Perhaps comes under the title of Review!.

The speed of our surgery: Phoned last Friday afternoon about a Flu jab, was booked in, and had the jab yesterday Monday at 2.30pm. Can't ask for better service than that, and dealt with human beings throughout. Recorded messages after 6pm until 8am weekdays, and all weekends only.Deputising service available via recorded message times.

jz 19:47 09 Oct 07

wiz-king: I press #4 at work, then it accepts the "press 1" etc. There might be an equivalent where you work. Try asking someone clever at work.

norman47 19:53 09 Oct 07

is fantastic.

the phone is normally picked up by the second ring and usually you can hear cheerful voices in the background, often laughing.

Asking for the dispensary puts you through to 3 or 4 part time pharmacists that will gladly take your repeat prescriptions and have it them up in 48 hours.

There is no chance of ringing for an appointment with a doctor because they don't do them. First in is first to see the doctor and they isn't usually more than 4 waiting. So we see a doctor on a day we want to and usually within half an hour of turning up.

Modern doctors surgery's, you can keep em:)))

PS the doctors are GREAT!!!!

Colin 20:46 09 Oct 07

I try to avoid visiting the doctor. I don't feel like I should be there as I'm not 5 stone overweight, don't wear a track suit and I have a shower before leaving the house. But that could be just where I live.

Noldi 21:16 09 Oct 07

I remember the worst thing about my English doctor was actually getting past the receptionist all her questions to find out if you really where ill enough to se a doctor.
I don’t like to gloat but I left England a few years ago and now enjoy walking into the surgery or phoning for an appointment for that afternoon.

Noldi

Chegs ®™ 21:48 09 Oct 07

I constantly need reminding of who my Dr actually is as I see him so infrequently,even though I am presently on incapacity benefit.My partner phones to make the appointments and I've been twice this year so far.I only went to these appointments as the 1st lot of tablets I was prescribed it turned out I was allergic too so had a 2nd visit to obtain another course of tablets.My mother was a nurse so all through my childhood a Drs was deemed un-needed as she would decide if we were unwell enough to have a day off school.Thats perhaps why my yearly attendance was always 100% as only being dead and buried was sufficient excuse not to go to school. :)

Brumas 22:28 09 Oct 07

I am very lucky in that being the only Yorkshireman living in this beautiful North Northumberland village ( pop.1000) whenever I ring the surgery I am recognised and addressed by my christian name. 9 times out of 10 I can get an appointment the same day and the receptionists are always bright, cheerful and efficient - couldn't ask a better Doctor's Surgery.

robgf 01:03 10 Oct 07

Be grateful that you have a surgery, our village doctor retired and we didn't have a surgery for about two years, they simply couldn't get a replacement.
We were supposed to phone a neighboring village if we wished to see a doctor, but they would redirect you to the next village and the next, round and round.
Things were so bad, that people started to phone 999, or go to the hospital emergency room thirty miles away.
Fortunately we now have two new doctors, both are foreign and you cant understand a word they say and they cant understand English. It's a bit like going to the vet, you show them the offending bit, they poke and prod you and mime what they need you to do. It works pretty well, in fact I prefer it to a speaking doctor.

Forum Editor 06:48 10 Oct 07

It's possible that the written request is required so that the doctor has a record of you asking for whatever medication was involved.

Later on you might deny asking for it, whereas a document would provide evidence. I'm not sure that's the reason, but it would seem to make sense if it is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…