Do you vote by policy or allegiance?

mrwoowoo 00:15 27 Sep 07

Why do certain people,on this site and the country as a whole vote for the same political party throughout their entire lives.
There's the "i wouldn't vote for that lot even if" syndrome,and the "my father and his father before him" syndrome.
Surely the right approach is to vote for the policies that affect you personally and then the country as a whole.The two often go hand in hand anyway.
I'm sure someone will enlighten me,because if i see another "i woulden't vote for that lot even if" comment on this site i'll put a brick through my monitor.
*sits with brick in hand awaiting the inevitable*(O:!

Earthsea 02:10 27 Sep 07

and I vote for no-one.

sunny staines 07:35 27 Sep 07

my problem do you vote for the local mp or the party. If your prefer the party but have a useless mp it puts you off voting.

badgery 08:50 27 Sep 07

After the last week of the 'Gordo Love-in', I have lost faith in politics altogether - we are rapidly becoming a one-party state, such is the differences between Parties.
Where were the heated debates of previous years?
Where are the 'Left'?
What can we expect next week - another love-in with Dave?
Stop the world I want to get off!

interzone55 09:12 27 Sep 07

This is a real difficult topic, I suppose it's akin to supporting the same football team as your father.

I personally have been a Labour supporter all my life, mainly because my whole family are Tory supporters and i was tired of their pathetic "Mrs Thatcher only has the country's best interests at heart" rhetoric (insert appropriate obscenity here).

On the subject of voting for party or candidate, for the last 4 council elections I've voted for the Conservative candidate - because she really does have my area's interests at heart, and is the only one that comes round campaigning, and not just in May. A couple of weeks ago my street was dug up without warning, and there was no indication of who was doing the work, or for whom. The Conservative councillor answered my emails within an hour, and found out who was doing the work, and is demanding an explanation for the lack of prior notice. Three weeks later I'm still awaiting a reply to the same email from the council's highways & engineering departments.

As for general elections, last time I voted Lib Dem for the same reasons

laurie53 09:45 27 Sep 07

Like alan14 I vote for different parties in local and national elections. My local councillor (also a lady) is very good, but her party's national policies are rubbish!

I voted Tory for most of me life but did vote for individuals once or twice - Jeremy Thorpe (remember him?) when I was down in Devon, and Margaret Ewing when I was up north.

I stopped voting Tory when they got rid of Margaret Thatcher, not because I particularly liked her (I was unemployed in the 90s) but because of the way it was done.

At the time I thought it was done in the best interests of the party, not the country, and I stopped trusting them (as well as all the others - I've not voted in the last two elections, conscious decision, not apathy. Oh for a "None of the Above" option!).

JanetO 09:45 27 Sep 07

I vote to keep a party in power for two terms, then vote for the oppostition. My theory is that power corrupts (as seen by Tony BLiar's antics) and to keep a party in government for longer than two terms is more detrimental to the country. Plus they get too complacant if in power for more than 8 years.

badgery 11:04 27 Sep 07

Good idea, but when the Parties are almost identical it just means a change of faces at the top.
But then I suppose it's only fair to spread the ill-gotten gains around the members of the Westminster Club, in rotation!!
I,too, want a "None of the Above" option.

I remember hearing "if someone wants to stand for election, they should be the last person you actually vote for".

A cynic, moi?!!

Quickbeam 11:48 27 Sep 07

the last two general elections... Lost the faith & will to bother like so many others.

Totally-braindead 12:20 27 Sep 07

I vote every election and it seems I must vote for the underdog all the time as the people I vote for don't get elected.
Its not so much who is the best one to vote for but for me at least who is the lesser of the evils as it were.
I'm afraid I don't have a very high opinion of those who want to represent us, I think they day of the person who really wanted to help their country is gone and what we are left with is mainly ones who are in it for what they can get.
I'm sure many will disagree with me but that is my opinion. Many years ago as an example the local councillors weren't paid, they did their work as a service to the comunity and of course for the prestige it gave them. Now the only local ones I know are a bunch of rip off merchants who seek to line their own pockets. And I might add so so very well.
I still vote, if you don't then as far as I am concerned you can't moan about the results as you were given the opportunity to change things and ignored it. I'm not saying that voting would change things but not voting definately wouldn't.

g0slp 13:00 27 Sep 07

I usually vote on the issues, but occasionally tactically.

To those who don't bother to vote; that's your perogative, of course, but I'm of the opinion that if you don't vote shouldn't then complain. I know that I'll be flamed by some for saying this, but that's what I believe.

Regarding spoiling your paper, unfortunately there's no way of knowing what percentage do this as it's not reported. I understand the thinking behind doing it, & I sympathise, but with the system that we have it's the same as not voting.

I've thought of changing my name to "zzz None of the Above" & then standing for election :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017