Do you use the wireless router supplied with your broadband subscription?

PC Advisor 11:11 12 Jan 15

All broadband packages are sold with a wireless router, but upgrading your hardware could mean you receive faster performance. We want to know whether you're using the router that came with your broadband - place your vote in our poll.

spuds 11:24 12 Jan 15

Having recently received a new 'updated' replacement (DLink - DSL-2780) from TalkTalk, and used their other supplied router (Huawei HG520b) over a number of years, I feel no need for change.

Perhaps I should!.

spuds 11:26 12 Jan 15

Whoops typo error, Should have been, DLink DSL-3780 router.

wee eddie 11:36 12 Jan 15

Yes ~ Although it is likely, but not certainly, that a 3rd Party Wireless Router will be faster I doubt the difference will be earth shattering.

john bunyan 11:40 12 Jan 15

I prefer to use my own router as I am on a rolling one month contract - so do not want to be tied to an ISP. I have been with Pipex (now Talk Talk) for many years. They are poor at service but I cannot be bothered to change my e mail addresses! I have a Netgear DGND 4000 and am happy with it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:23 12 Jan 15

Had a "livebox" but only 1 spare network socket nogood when had spare PC and got HUmax box also with network

acquired a non working netgear dg something which I repaired, Humax on homeplug, spare PC on cat 5 cable but router that only had g wireless and very slow.

was given a Home Hub 2 but locked to BT so flashed the firmware to use with my ISP. N wireless fine for my laptop and phone, connected printer to its USB port so can use printer from all other devices on the network.

Must look into connecting an external HDD to its USB and see if it becomes available to network devices like a NAS?

Forum Editor 16:37 12 Jan 15

I'm using the BT Homehub 5 - it seems fine to me, I'm currently getting 69 Mbps downstream and 17 Mbps upstream.

Ex plorer 16:45 12 Jan 15

Yes I now use one supplied by ISP.

The only thing I found out is that if you don't use one specified by the company they wont help if you get dropped lines or any other problems.

bremner 17:11 12 Jan 15

Never ending problems with 3 BT Homehub 3's dropping connections so bought a cheap T-Link that has been no problems in the 12 months I have had it.

Was told by BT broadband engineer who called on another matter that the HH 2 & 3's were incredibly unreliable that he knew so many customers who had dumped them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:57 12 Jan 15

Thats how I got mine, owner dumped it due to dropping connection.

I've never had a problem with the router as I flashed the firmware to unlock it.

Nontek 21:20 12 Jan 15

I am using the BT HomeHub5 with similar results to FE, and no problems with connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant