Do you use water companies insurance?

  hssutton 13:39 17 Apr 12

With every water bill I receive from Anglian Water I get a letter imforming me that should I suffer a water leak on my property the cost of repairs could run into £1000s. These letters are immediately shredded as this is covered by my home insurance.

Just seeing this artical in the Telegraph Water Leaks made me wonder if any members of this forum have taken out these insurance policies with their water suppliers

  Quickbeam 14:32 17 Apr 12

Will this be the next PPI type compo vehicle for solicitors?

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:19 17 Apr 12


what I've saved over the years of not paying over inflated insurance costs has more than covered the costs of any repairs.

This year I find that the water company is now responsible for the pipework right up to my stopcock in the house.

  spuds 17:49 17 Apr 12

You may find that the offer actually comes from someone like HomeServe and not the water company themselves. No doubt someone will get a commission from this?.

Recently, responsibilities for pipework and leaks changed, and it became more favourable to the customer. Regarding household insurance,check your policy, some home insurance companies have tightened up their terms and conditions of water leakage and damage.

  Diemmess 17:54 17 Apr 12

Fruit Bat /\0/\'s comment of responsibility right up to the stopcock in the house cheers me a lot, and confirms my belief too, that this is one more instance of unnecessary insurance.

My father was honest and very meticulous with all financial matters. A little more home-spun over insurance saying to me that "You can insure yourself out of business."

Like extended warranties there is a point at which such cover is just money thrown away.

  johndrew 10:25 18 Apr 12

Anglian Water are using similar scare tactics to those used by British Gas. Anything that may be at risk of occurring is labelled as being a high cost or lethal component.

This all seems to have started when many of our utilities became owned by foreign bodies and appears to be another sales invention imported from across the herring pond.

  TopCat® 13:38 18 Apr 12

Ofwat outlines the various responsibilities here: watercarryon :) TC.

  Aitchbee 16:43 18 Apr 12

I have just phoned up my building insurance company regarding a collapsed 'drain duct' repair...and I am hopeful that I will be covered for the costs...approximately 360 quid.

  spuds 16:51 18 Apr 12


I hope the claim doesn't come under subsidence. If so, then expect to cough up an excess of £1.000.00 ;o)

  Woolwell 17:31 18 Apr 12

You may well find that the cover offered is already provided by your house insurance or can be obtained from them for less than that offered by the water companies.

  Aitchbee 18:01 18 Apr 12

spuds - I hope I have only to pay a 75 pounds's the first insurance claim I have made in my life...but the outer skim of the building is starting to 'BUBBLE' ie the rendering is starting to disintigrate...I might be 'bubbling' at the cost of future repairs. :-[

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

What’s happening in VR right now: From psychedelic art to combat therapy

Siri not working? Try these troubleshooting fixes