Do you use Internet Banking?

VoG II 08:37 28 Aug 04

If you do click here and take note!

Mister Splendid©®™! 08:54 28 Aug 04

This shows clearly that if you use internet banking it is especially important to ensure you have good internet security software and keep it upto date.

cga 09:23 28 Aug 04

However this does seem a bit alarmist and out of date. I use at least two of the banks mentioned and both have instituted security measures where keystroke recording would be of no use (I wont give details).

On my German bank keystroke recording could allow access to view my account but there is a very simple procedure to prevent unauthorised transactions.

There are good reasons to be aware of keystroke recording programs and take precautions but the banks (at least the ones I use) seem to have got their act together on this.

VoG II 09:42 28 Aug 04

The concept isn't new but the trojan is click here

cga 09:52 28 Aug 04

Yes - without going into too much detail the schemes being adopted by the banks to combat this fall into two broad categories :-

1. Requiring entry of data that changes each time you log on (my German bank has a particularly neat scheme for this)

2. Using mouse click to replace keystrokes (not sure if this is quite as secure but it certainly ups the anti).

Keystroke recording trojans are probably a higher risk when using e-retailer sites and entering your Credit Card details

no-name 10:07 28 Aug 04

As cga says your CC details are more at risk because your keystrokes are constant.

If you don't take the correct security precautions you will be at risk - whether it be on-line banking, on-line shopping or even with ATMs, petrol stations, restaurants etc.

My CC company contacted me recently because of an odd transaction that emanated from the USA - they told me that my CC number was probably sold via a petrol station or restaurant.

Andybear 14:22 28 Aug 04

I've been using Internet banking for several years. The one I use have a PIN and password system and rather than type in the whole PIN and password, each time you're asked for random letters / numbers, that means you're not typing in the same details each time.

spider9 15:28 28 Aug 04

I also have a bank that asks for password and a random 'personal' question that I have previously given answers to, so different keystrokes each time I logon. Also notice this bank is not in the list being targeted - perhaps this is why?

CurlyWhirly 19:38 28 Aug 04

I use Cahoot and at first glance it does seem worrying but if you read the 'Terms and conditions' in the event of an online fraud you are only liable for the first £50 anyway.

I do however wish that Cahoot would use a drop-down menu in place of the current system of having to enter your password and other memorable information as you have to enter them in FULL and if this trojan WAS on your PC this could be a security risk.
CW

jakimo 11:50 29 Aug 04

This may be the answer

click here

CurlyWhirly 11:59 29 Aug 04

Thanks for your reply.
I have looked at TDS before but to be honest it puts me off as it looks rather complicated!
I already have the REGISTERED version of a2 trojan scanner - is this good enough to protect me?
CW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…