Do you really know how to use Google

spikeychris 18:29 01 Sep 04

Not wishing to upset anyone but the answer 99 out of a 100 times will be no. There are just so many permeables to take into account. We all know the plus and minus options as well as speech marks but what about link: (find sites containing search term as a link)?

cache: (display the cached version of page specified by
search term)?

intitle: (find sites containing search term in the title of a page(?

inurl: (find sites containing search_term in the URL of the page)?

Theres the site: option as well, if you wanted to run a search for the costs of courses at Oxford you could type oxford.edu tuition into Google. The result isn't that good, but if you type site:oxford.edu tuition you get what you want.

Theres a shed load of other operators (the word that proceeds the search and to be honest I cant type them here as there are one or two that fall into the cracking category.

Some people however are their own worst enemy, they title their work "Admin" and the files will be stored on a folder not intended for the net. There is a one line comment that when typed into Google will drag out these private "admin" files and its just a click away.

Google is a very powerful tool and only a tiny portion of it is ever used or am I wrong?

leo49 19:12 01 Sep 04

Judging by many of the questions being asked on the forum in the last few months,it might be an idea to explain what Google is. The concepts of self-help and actually thinking seem to be alien to many newcomers.

mbp 19:19 01 Sep 04

Spikeychris: Isn't this true of most of the larger programs on our computers, for example: Yahoo, MSN, BT-Yahoo, Mozilla, IMatch, Adobe PhotoShop 7, and so on. Often we only use those bits of the program that we are familiar with until we stumble on another technique. That is why people write books about such topics and they sell like hot cakes.

I would wish someone like you would write a list of techniques, to fully exploit the capabilities of Google, and I will be the first one to make a hard copy of it. Can I hope?

Pesala 21:08 01 Sep 04

How to limit searches to the UK? No use finding PC suppliers in the US for example. Don't tell me to search Google for the answer (>_<)

powerless 21:34 01 Sep 04

Keyword[s]: PC suppliers UK

OR use the google UK site...

click here [pages from the UK]

CurlyWhirly 21:35 01 Sep 04

Try click here

CW

spikeychris 21:35 01 Sep 04
  spikeychris 21:37 01 Sep 04

You have to do it three times though

Pesala 22:23 01 Sep 04

Change:

[Search Engine 1]
Name=&Google
URL=click here

To:

[Search Engine 1]
Name=&Google
URL=click here

So easy, I don't know why I didn't do it before. Thanks for bringing it up.

Pesala 23:07 01 Sep 04

Change:

[Search Engine 1]
Name=&Google
URL=click here

To:

[Search Engine 1]
Name=&Google
URL=click here

So easy, I don't know why I didn't do it before. Thanks for bringing it up.

jack 09:03 02 Sep 04

Does it ever stop ?
Learning that is, of course it does not.
Something new all the time and at the end of a period of time they way you/me/we use any program
will have changed beyond all recognition, so that every so often [me at any rate] think
Now how do I do that - and I did it only last/week.................

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…