Do you like microsoft at the moment?

fleamailman 01:31 15 May 06

OK, I am sure that there are lots of people who are going to say "well, if you don't like it use something else" or "that is the law lump it" or whatever but I don't like having to pay for one system after the other, I don't like being pushed on to a new system because the old system becomes unsupported, I dont like not knowing how long that next system will last, I certainly don't like having to buy an antivirus on top of it all, oh and the firewall, I don't like all this one machine one licence crap and then the song and dance about changing that license to a new machine.

When and if I buy vista I want to know what I am paying for and if it does not work I want my money back!!!!

Devil Fish 03:01 15 May 06

so you expect ms or any other company to support a discontinued product indefinitly (Not going to happen)

1 licence one machine buy a retail version you can then put it on a new machine as long as you uninstall it from the old one

and dont buy antivirus or firewall download one of the free ones available on the web

and if you are thinking of putting vista on a machine presently running win 98 dont waste your money

SG Atlantis® 06:29 15 May 06

Things move forward, catch a grip of reality. Microsoft is there to make money, it will do that by creating/selling/developing new software. Hardware mfrs are there to make money, they will do that my creating/selling/developing newer technology.

See a pattern?

"well, if you don't like it use something else" ....I would say if ya don't like the way IT is, then don't buy.

SG Atlantis® 06:30 15 May 06

*by creating

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:58 15 May 06

I know people who are still using Windows 95 yet they have changed their car at least 3 times. You could recently have bought a Dell, good spec computer, 19" TFT and Windows XP for £299...could you care to show me how MS is expensive. There are plenty of free apps that are the equivalent of any MS app.

You are not forced to use Windows and you can use Linux and I really do not understand what you are going on avbout ....end of story.

wee eddie 08:08 15 May 06

M$ are here to make their owners and staff: money.

That is the stuff that you use to purchase your food, accommodation and IT equipment. I don't know how you get hold of yours, but I work, make things that my employer sells for money, some of which she gives back to me.

Thats roughly how the world works!

There is no reason for you to use Bill Gate's products but if you wish to you will, either have to pay or risk arrest.

Why not buy from Steve Jobs!

Pidder 19:32 15 May 06

I'm not too well up on Operating Systems. What is there available apart from Windows and Linux, and does the latter have the facility of Windows? Seems to me it's pretty well Hobson's Choice.

ed-0 19:44 15 May 06

Yes. They have given us an excellent operating system.

and if you are carefull, it is quite reasonable to.

SG Atlantis® 19:47 15 May 06

linux have the facility of windows?

If you mean GUI then yes, it has windows, menus and icons just like MS windows.

It can and does do the job of windows but is a bit more complicated and is less used than windows. It's still a good option for anyone that wouldn't be dependant on MS compatible software or a gamer.

wee eddie points out Steve Jobs, you can buy from him too. (that would be apple) as an other option.

Haol 19:53 15 May 06

Pidder, there are over 100 versions of Linux, but you could also use BeOS, Unix and...I can't think of anything ekse right now.

fleamailman, I agree with you. I know it's annoying!

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:20 15 May 06

'I certainly don't like having to buy an antivirus on top of it all, oh and the firewall,'...what are you on about, there are plenty of free ones, have you not read the forum, this crops up weekly.

I am no fan of Linux but it is very similar to Windows and is free or at minimum cost, so there is no Hobson's choice about it. Personally I think it is a total disgrace that a business wants to make a profit and I am sure that fleamailman, if he/she ever has their own business would run it at a loss and make no profit...in fact give everything produced away /sigh

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac