Do you have children (under the age of 18) in your household who use a smartphone or tablet?

davidcourt 15:11 PM 22 Nov 12

We're researching the amount of interaction children have with phones and tablets.

Anecdotally it seems that virtually all children at least have access to a phone to play with, even if they don't have a mobile device of their own.

So what happens in your household? Let us know in our poll and this discussion.

carver 15:41 PM 22 Nov 12

My son is not quite 18 so he just qualifies but both son and daughter have had smart phones by the time they were 16.

Woolwell 18:12 PM 22 Nov 12

I have children but they are over 18 and have left home. I shall ignore this questionnaire which doesn't permit that answer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:39 PM 22 Nov 12

Two and a half year old grandson loves to play on the phone apps that have pictures of animals and their associated sounds + some of the games like Angry Birds.

Like any child of this age, his attention to the phone doesn't last more than a few minutes at a time. He seems to get more fun playing with other things pretending to use them like a phone.

shellship 18:42 PM 22 Nov 12

No but we are two well over 70 year olds who have both!

Aitchbee 19:45 PM 22 Nov 12

My neice's new baby, a little girl of 4 months, has been photographed so many times [is that 'p' word still in use?],by dozens of different 'smart' phones by different friends and relations ... poor little girl, that I think she, (the baby), has already developed an extra thick skin / mantle regarding smart phones ... and social networking, and who could blame her.

D@ve 23:00 PM 22 Nov 12

I have a brother (much younger than me) who has recently turned 12 years old. He's had a smartphone for almost a year. Most of his classmates had phones years before him too.

Taff™ 10:58 AM 24 Nov 12

With a secondary school a short walk away I see the kids using them all the time on their way to and from it. These phones cost more than the clothes they wear!

Of all the kids that I know through fixing their laptops or family computers I would say that the vast majority of 11+ year olds have a mobile phone of some description. By the time they are 13/14 they have smartphones.

The takeup of tablets however is much less pronounced. To a kid the smartphone is top priority and then, those more fortunate might have a larger tablet but because of the poor integration with MS Office, which they use in school, most parents prefer them to have a more traditional device for homework. (After all - they are the footing the bill in most cases.)

tanjagersten 13:00 PM 27 Nov 12

My son has become an android expert for tablets, phones and what not, he's only 14.

User8662 17:00 PM 11 Dec 12

My grandson in 12 and he would like a phone but doesn't have one. His mother thinks he is too young and I agree. There is no need for a young kid to have all these expensive smartphones etc. What do they have to look forward to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Android apps 2015/2016: Best apps for your new phone or tablet - what apps should I download?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Uniqlo uses your brain waves to find your perfect T-shirt

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…