do you have any "Y" euro bank notes

sunnystaines 10:01 16 May 12

If you have any EU bank notes with the serial numbers starting with a Y this are greek euros. you might want to consider exchanging them, some webs advising getting shot of them if greeks pull out/get kicked out of the euro.

my thoughts are all the euro notes must be mixed by now all over europe so not sure sure if these will be dishonered if the worst happens to greece.

johndrew 10:13 16 May 12

As a result of various holidays over the years we had accumulated quite a lot of Euro notes. When the Greek saga started we had a bad feeling and rid ourselves of them. This was fortunate as we found that with the pound being weak at the time our return was better than we had paid for them (less inflation and interest of course!!) and a small profit was made - even with the original and subsequent costs of exchange. It's not often we are so lucky.

Selling them now would be more painful.

spuds 11:32 16 May 12

I was in the local Post Office the other day, when someone was changing rather a large amount of Euro's and other currency.

Whether he had heard any rumours or not, it brought complaints from the long queue, while one of three windows where open, and the one working counter clerk was dealing with the transactions :O(

Quickbeam 12:00 16 May 12

Surely a Euro is a Euro once it's printed? Once it's in circulation it has the buying power of a Euro anywhere in the Euro zone does it not?

bjh 12:16 16 May 12

Euro banknotes are printed in 14 different centres, which are spread across the eurozone, but not necessarily in each member country. It is up to the individual state, in agreement with the European Central bank, to control the number of notes produced with their national identifier on it. Theoretically, notes are released in the identified country, but all are ECB euros, so are equally valid. They are backed by the ECB, not by the member state. Greece defaulting would cause a buy-back of Euros, but not specifically of Greek marked ones. They would, however be automatically withdrawn by the banks over time.

Interestingly, a number of French Euro coins are minted without following the laid-down protocol for laying out the images. Technically, these coins are not valid Euros, so they could be refused by the ECB.

morddwyd 20:18 16 May 12

"this are greek euros"

There's no such thing.

A Euro is a Euro is a Euro.

Clapton is God 15:34 17 May 12

"A Euro is a Euro is a Euro"

You try telling that to the Eurozone countries. They can't even agree amongst themselves how to 'rescue' their Monopoly-money currency, let alone what constitutes a 'good' or a 'bad' note.

And have you noticed how the various Euro countries which are slowly going down the financial pan are, at best, second rate countries - Greece, Ireland, Portugal, Spain and possibly Italy?

sunnystaines 16:13 17 May 12

Clapton is God

you are right all these dead end nations should never had joined they are just dragging everyone else down

spuds 17:04 17 May 12

Not sure about dead end nations bit. The Irish (Ireland) have always supported the UK economy, but some of the other EU countries, it was perhaps a case of importing cheap labour, without the usual previous restrictions applying?.

Strange how some people thought that the UK was the end of the rainbow, but have now returned back to their EU homelands for a life that they know well?.

Condom 19:26 17 May 12

I have many Euro notes and to be honest I don't really care where they came from as I can use them in any other Euro country. That as the point of the Euro and when it worked it worked well for Joe Public but trust the bankers & speculators to make a hash of things.

morddwyd 20:22 17 May 12

""A Euro is a Euro is a Euro"

You try telling that to the Eurozone countries"

I don't need to.

If I use a €20 note to pay for a coffee in any Eurozone country (and many UK outlets too) they are not going to look to see what the serial number looks like.

I might get a bit less change in some countries, but that has nothing to do with where the note was printed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…