Do you buy inkjet cartridges?

WhiteTruckMan 19:56 31 Dec 07

If you do, and I suspect most forum members have at one time or another then this podcast will probably be of interest to you. I caught it today on radio 4's 'you and yours' program. To quote from the programmes website:

"Behind the scenes of a fiercely competitive market. As any home computer user knows, keeping your printer topped up with ink is an expensive business. Buy a replacement colour cartridge from some manufacturers, and you can expect to pay upwards of £20. But not all of us are filling up with ink from the manufacturer. Cut-price but compatible cartridges and refills are readily available from supermarkets and the internet. So why is there such a price difference and is that reflected in the quality of the product?"

Fascinating stuff, from the warranty implications of aftermarket carts to patent infringement worries of 'compatable' manufacturers, and the problems of chipped cartridges. Plus, its nice to have some of my pre-concived prejudices confirmed:)

This is the link to download it:

click here

Its a 12 meg download, duration 20 minutes. Highly recommended.

WTM

WhiteTruckMan 19:58 31 Dec 07

right click the link and select 'save as...'

WTM

MCE2K5 20:37 31 Dec 07

Thanks, For that, Very interesting, The HP feller don't know much, Does he!

rdave13 20:53 31 Dec 07

Only ever bought 'compatible' ones. Can't afford the originals. Be cheaper to throw away the printer and buy a new one in some instances..lol, now that's 'green' eh?

g0nvs 20:58 31 Dec 07

Original ink cartridges have always been a "Rip Off". Used compatible's for years.

45 Mart 21:32 31 Dec 07

Well, I've got a Canon i865, and had it for close on 3 years now and it's never failed, and apart from the cartridges that came with it, have never bought Canon brand since. I simply couldn't afford them. Also, I don't care what Canon propaganda comes along, I print out anything from letters to high quality photographs (my own), some of which I have sold, and am very pleased with the colour and contrast and depth.
If you're interested, I buy ink from Choice Stationary and use Jessops photo paper.

Stuartli 00:40 01 Jan 08

>>So why is there such a price difference and is that reflected in the quality of the product?">>

I have an Epson R300 photo printer which cost just over £90 two years ago; if I bought six Epson original inkjet cartridges whenever they were required, it would cost me about £70 each time.

So I use packs each containing all six inkjet cartridges from DiskDepot.

They cost me just over £4 per PACK.

Forum Editor 01:32 01 Jan 08

that if the manufacturers' ink cartridges were cheaper the printers themselves would cost more to start with. The real profit is in the ink.

I used to use a lot of ink, but over the past couple of years the amount of printing I do has dwindled to almost nothing. Documents are sent to clients via email, usually as PDFs, and we rarely send snail-mail letters. Images are all digital, and never printed, so the printers in the office are idle most of the time.

Miros 09:09 01 Jan 08

Listened with interest to the podcast, and managed to trace the company in Boston that was featured.

I have an Epsom printer and in trying to trace the ink for it there were 105 print items listed for Epsom printers alone with that company, I would think this can't possibly be an economic way of manufacturing a product, again further adding to costs.

When you consider all the printer manufactures who possibly have a similar number of different cartridges or items available, the whole must run into many thousands all basically doing the same job. What a waste, but what a money maker!

Why can't we have one for all, and all for one:-)

Happy New Year.

BT 09:22 01 Jan 08

"Why can't we have one for all, and all for one:-)"

That would be far too sensible.

Quickbeam 10:13 01 Jan 08

The only time I've bought genuine Epson inks was to print some wedding pictures I did at my nephews wedding. That was only because the colour balance was way out on the cheapie inks I use for invoicing. The longevity without fading factor is also something you get with the genuine inks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…