Do you believe that the PC days are numbered?

TopCat® 13:59 01 Mar 14
Answered

They are if you agree with Apple's CEO Steve Jobs comments at their Worldwide Developer Conference. He suggests that the company's iCloud "would help users leave behind the shackles of the old tethered ways." click here

I was fortunate to get an iPad Air for my recent birthday and am currently finding my way around it - a wonderful 'gadget' I must agree. But I have been warned by some tech members of my family to leave iCloud alone.

What do our members think about the Apples comments and are my family wrong in advising me to stay clear of iCloud? Thank you for your comments. TC.

bremner 14:17 01 Mar 14

3 years on from that presentation the majority of users are still using conventional PC augmented with phones and tablets. The use of Cloud computing is growing and will continue to do so.

Will we ever move entirely to Cloud computing? Probably not because other technologies will probably supercede it.

TopCat® 14:47 01 Mar 14

Thanks for pointing out the date error, bremner, it'll pay me to be more observant! Anyway, I have to some extent agree with your comments.

I did read recently though that diminished in numbers as they are, the PC manufacturing industry is still quite healthy and doing reasonably well. TC.

fourm member 15:21 01 Mar 14

For as long as there are people like me (low speed broadband, rarely away from home) there will be a demand for desktops. My worry is that I've probably seen the bottom of the 'U' curve and my next desktop will cost me more than my last as the competition won't be so fierce in a falling market.

mart7 15:36 01 Mar 14

I had a walk round currys the other day i struggled to find any pcs ,found the section eventually about 6 on a long shelf!and pc games in a basket on the end of the aisle looking quite desperate,i took a trip to the local supplier ccl and the guys in there said they had never been so busy building pcs,they were struggling to keep up with demand

Mr Mistoffelees 16:32 01 Mar 14

"Do you believe that the PC days are numbered?"

Yes and that number is many thousands.

wee eddie 16:35 01 Mar 14

I believe that the Desktop will morph into "The Household Server" as it is much easier to handle many tasks, better, on a large screen than on a pocket handkerchief sized one and I, for one, have little confidence in the Cloud.

However, a bit like the Banks, no Cloud Server Company is going to admit that it has been hacked. One day you'll find your files have, sort of, gone!

Ex plorer 16:45 01 Mar 14

I don't do that much photo editing but I reckon it will be far easier on a Desk Top.

I reckon the PC will be around for many year to come, I use a laptop 80% of the time but would hate to be without a desk top.

Woolwell 17:36 01 Mar 14

iCloud is good for syncing contacts, calendar, photos and other data between devices. But I wouldn't totally rely on it.

Woolwell 18:36 01 Mar 14

Jock1e - What were you downloading?

wiz-king 20:26 01 Mar 14

I wonder what effect the death of Steve Jobs will have on the product line up at Apple, will they keep making desktops?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…