Do you believe in coincidence?

Sapins 13:03 20 Oct 04

Just been browsing through some PC magazines and it struck me that a large number of the "problems" letters were directed to an article that just happened to be in that issue of the magazine, or, have a look on the attached CD and load programme X, Just coincidence or what?

I'm thinking, do magazines keep letters until an appropriate article is to be published, or, do they publish an article that has the appropriate answer to a particular problem someone has written in about, or, is it all a coincidence?

Sethhaniel 13:22 20 Oct 04

If you look through this forum you see the same errors / complaints /tweaks coming up time after time - so its a safe bet to put any repair /tweak etc,. on Cd-rom for it to be in the 'eye';)

Sapins 13:32 20 Oct 04

Why have a letters page then?

Sethhaniel 13:39 20 Oct 04

a break from the adverts ;)

Sapins 13:45 20 Oct 04

I like the adverts:-)

jack 13:56 20 Oct 04

Sethanhial has it, as a former 'press' worker
Editorial and features are there to space the ads,
The ads are the bead and butter afterall, even if as one of the geat 19c Press barons remarked, when told that only 10% 0f advertising worked
'Well kill the other 90% then'

Sethhaniel 13:58 20 Oct 04

just to confirm to the rest of us that we know what we are talking about and that others think the same and we do and we all wish we'd written in with that first and won the goodies on offer
And of course the puzzle of how to remove inserted tiscali cds without ripping your beloved mag to bits ;)

Sapins 14:03 20 Oct 04

Blimey, I thought you kept the Tiscali CD and binned the magazine :-(

Sethhaniel 14:33 20 Oct 04

'Free' magazines one a local Arts & Music magazine - the other a socities 'news magazine' - and the beauty is - one being funded as and when by 'Lotto' or other contribution -and the other by subscribed members - there are no adverts - so articles and items of interest are not distracted from by 'drooling' over the latest periphial on offer on the next page - --So if I need a fix for adverts i'll get the exchange & mart ;)

Forum Editor 15:06 20 Oct 04

that many thousands of our readers don't - for reasons of their own- visit the forum, so they don't have the advantage of being able to see problems being solved on a daily basis. They write to us in their hundreds, and obviously only a selection of those letters is published.

Sethhaniel 15:22 20 Oct 04

and then have to wait another month - if the solution needs an upgrade - as in this latest issue 113 page 194 it suggests to disable 'system restore' where as in fact 'system Restore' only needs to be 'unhidden' so that the virus programs etc can get at them - or you can delete a troubled point - without losing all your restore points -
Maybe disable is an easy solution or quick fix as unhidding the program is probably not for the faint hearted ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…