Do we need to control Human Breeding

Z1100 00:25 13 Jun 07

I was watching a film Documentary the other day and it said, or rather a bloke said that the population of the planet had 'tripled' in his life time.

I thought what a load of old nonsense, tripled in his life time...

Well I looked on the web (because that is never wrong, right?) and he is correct to say that in so far as the best estimates go.

In 1800 969,000,000 (estimated)
then in 1950 2,519,470,000
and now 2005 6,464,750,000

That's a lot of babies, so do we need to stop this boom and control who can breed and how many they can produce, because in 2050 they think it will be 9,075,903,000!

Hanx!
K.

Si_L 00:42 13 Jun 07

We have to look at China's one baby policy and ask ourselves if it really worked.

Kate B 00:42 13 Jun 07

Blimey, this is a can of worms. The answer is no, you can't restrict people having children, because quite apart from the fact it's one of the most profoundly personal choices and one which no state should interfere, there's no way of saying who can and can't have children.

You can, however, make access to contraception and abortion as straightforward as possible to as many people as possible, including teenagers. Moral huffing about teens and pre-marital sex have to be put to one side: sure, abstinence is a very effective form of preventing babies, but prohibition doesn't work. Far better to make sure that the people who need it most have unjudgmental and easy access to contraception and abortion.

Nibblerman 01:20 13 Jun 07

I belive that in Austria or somewhere over there they are now as of last year paying expectant mothers a seriously lot of money to have a child.

& i belive its paid monthly not anualy.

its something like that but if i am wrong i am not far wrong cause it has happened & still is.

Si_L 04:34 13 Jun 07

I am 100% behind Kate B.

I was once asked by a friend of mine (an ex-gf) to help her out when she got pregnant with her new bf. It took us 4 and a half hours to get hold of an emergency contraceptive pill, and in a big town, that is just not good enough.

arris 07:16 13 Jun 07

I think it's definitely needed in places like Africa, because they just keep having babies all the time, even though they're always suffering from famine and aids and all those kinds of problems that Bob Geldof keeps going on about.

Si_L 07:42 13 Jun 07

They need to get a Pope in as well who understands that contraception is not a bad thing.

Legolas 09:20 13 Jun 07

As said above the Chinese one child policy has been a disaster.

In China it is traditional to prefer a male child because they will look after their parents in their old age, so if you have a daughter the temptation is to abandon her this is especially rife in the rural areas of China.

Chinese orphanages are full of abandoned little girls I visited an orphanage a few years ago and to see rooms full of rows of cots all little girls was heartbreaking. My closest friends have adopted 3 Chinese girls all as babies the oldest is now 10 then 8 then 4. They are absolutely beautiful girls but to think they might have spent their childhood in an orphanage or even worse is too horrible for me to contemplate. So no I do not think we should meddle in "human breeding" what we should do is educate people in contraception and make them readily available.

wee eddie 09:24 13 Jun 07

We seem to be quite happy to do this to an assortment of animal species.

It remains to decide the parameters!

arris 09:35 13 Jun 07

Perhaps people should be euthanased at 30, like in some film I remember watching with jenny Agutter in it (forgot the name) but she was hot in it.

Kate B 09:37 13 Jun 07

I don't think you really understand the issues of Africa. "They keep having babies all the time" - part of the problem is the strong hold the Catholic church has in Africa, with its blanket prohibition on contraception. Another issue is lack of easy and free access to contraception anyway, regardless of diktats from the Vatican.

Still another issue is that in poor farming and agricultural economies and societies, children are seen as useful members of the workforce: the more you have, the more land you can work and the more food you can grow.

Going back to contraception and abortion, until very recently, American policy forbade the granting of aid to any developing-world agency that promoted abortion. The issues are rather more complex than "they keep having babies".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5