Do they see me coming?

oresome 20:21 23 Jan 14

I purchased a TV from a well known and respected supermarket last week.

The purchase was on behalf of a friend, so I didn't open the box on arrival at home.

Come the weekend, I took the TV to my friends to install. Eager anticipation as I opened the box, but disappointment as it became obvious the TV wasn't in it's original internal packaging even though the outer box didn't appear disturbed.

On withdrawing the TV, which was wrapped in cling-film, there was a label on the front saying "Faulty---Customer Return" along with the model number.

I rang the supermarket and explained the situation. Customer Service were apologetic and promised to phone back, which they did in 10 minutes.

I was given the following explanation.

There is nothing wrong with the TV. We don't like to put them on display, so display only the empty box. The contents are removed and wrapped in cling-film and put in the warehouse. To identify the TV, we put a label on it and the only labels we have are the "Faulty----Customer Return" ones!

Me.......Cynical? Never.

I didn't accept this and they didn't have a replacement TV in store, but in subsequent phone calls one was arranged for the following Monday at 9am. I was also told the manager had instructed that all the labels were to be removed from the warehouse stock.

9am Monday, a phone call to say the manager, who was bringing the TV in had to go to hospital, so there would be a delay.

Me.......Cynical? Never.

11am phone call to say TV now in store.

Picked up the replacement and was assured it was factory fresh. I checked the shelf stock on other TVs in store. They were indeed empty boxes on display, so I might not have been told a fairy tale after all.

I wonder how they identify faulty TVs if they use these labels for the good stock?

Last time I make a purchase on behalf of a friend.

Would you have believed the explanation given?

fourm member 20:51 23 Jan 14

How's this for a different explanation?

I once worked for a former supermarket manager who said the greatest amount of shoplifting was down to staff not customers.

Maybe the 'faulty' labels were to try and stop staff walking off with the TVs.

Forum Editor 07:45 24 Jan 14

"Would you have believed the explanation given?"

I can't see much point in a store inventing such an explanation, so yes, I think I would probably believe it. It's a daft way of working, but it has obviously been done for a reason.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017