do they really think people will fall for this?

Kate B 11:27 18 Dec 04

Just found this in my spam filter: it never ceases to astonish me that con merchants who can't even write literate English think people might actually respond to this kind of thing! If I were setting up a con I'd make very sure it was convincing, starting with the spelling and grammar ...

Subject: DTI OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT -YOUR REFUND

DTI OFFICIAL NOTICE (MONEY DUE TOYOU ) YOU HAVE BEEN CONNED OUT OF CASH ? THE DEPARTMENT OF TRADE AND INDUSTRY HAS MADE THE FOLLOWING ANOUNCEMENT WHICH CONCERNS YOU-- EVERY UK HOUSEHOLD HAS RECEIVED A FRADULANT LETTER MAKING THE CLAIM THAT YOU HAVE WON A PRIZE AND ASKING YOU TO CALL A PREMIUM RATE TELEPHONE NUMBER OR SEND MONEY THESE LETTERS HAVE BEEN DEEMED BY THE DTI TO BE FRAUDULANT AND YOU MAY HAVE SEEN THE DTI TELEVISION ANOUNCEMENT ABOUT THIS -----NOW THE GOOD NEWS ---SIR CHARLES DUNSTONE THE OWNER OF THE CARPHONE WAREHOUSE WHICH HAS BEEN UNWITTINGLY COLLECTING THE MONEY FROM YOU AND HANDING IT TO THE FRAUDSTERS VIA ITS DIVISION OPAL TELECOM HAS NOT DISPUTED THE DTI S CONCLUSION THAT THE LETTERS ARE FRAUDULAND AND THAT REFUNDS SHOULD BE GIVEN TO ALL PEOPLE THAT HAVE PAID MONEY AFTER RECEIVING ONE OF THESE LETTRS ---it is claimed that the reason that the telecom regulator ICSTIS have not shut down this fraudulant service despite desperate please to do so from the DTI and TRADING STANDARDS is that ICSTIS is somehow in league with the fraudsters but this is unlikely ,it is probably more due to understaffing at ICSTIS HOW DO I CLAIM MY MONEY ? THATS EASY THERE ARE TWO OPTIONS # IETHER YOU CAN CALL TONY COUCH ON 07968 729 560 #OR CALL IN AT ANY CARPHONE WAREHOUSE BRANCH TELLING THEM HOW MUCH YOU LOST AND ASKING THE MANAGER OF THE BRANCH TO REFUND YOU #WHAT IF I DO NOT GET A REFUND ---THEN PLEASE INFORM SIR DAVID EDMONDS AT OFFCOM WHO WILL ENSURE THAT YOU RECEIVE YOUR REFUND THIS ANNOUNCEMENT HAS BEEN MADE BY BRIVICLAIM TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU CLAIM YOUR ENTITLEMENT

Dorsai 11:52 18 Dec 04

Yes they do think so. If they thought no one would, they would not bother. And if only 0.1% fall for it, and they have sent out 1,000,000 spam, that is 1000 people who call the number, and spend say £5 on the phone, they make £5000.

Dan the Confused 11:54 18 Dec 04

This is a scam? Hmmm...explains why I never got my refund...

Taran 12:05 18 Dec 04

The world is indeed a strange place...

spuds 12:12 18 Dec 04

For convincing offers and spelling mistakes try this remedy click here

pj123 12:59 18 Dec 04

'do they really think people will fall for this?'

Yes, they do and yes, thousands of people will fall for it.

As with many other scams they know there are thousands - or even millions - of people who will fall for it.

As Dorsai has said, you only need 0.1% to make money and it costs nothing to spam a million people.

I taught Literacy and Numeracy for a county council for a long time. I think you would be surprised at the amount of people who attended.

So the spelling and grammar wouldn't really matter to a lot of the recipients.

Kate B 13:28 18 Dec 04

Perhaps it's a poor reflection on the state of literacy in this country. I occasionally point out misplaced apostrophes to shop assistants and most of the time they don't understand what's wrong.

Perhaps I'm turning into a grumpy old pedant, but one of the many things I bless my education for is that it allows me to spot a scam by its poorly written presentation.

Still, as Dorsai points out, a hit rate of 0.1 per cent is enough to make a decent return ...

Mango Grummit 13:38 18 Dec 04

It must be unlikely that the 0.1% reckoned to be in the danger zone would know how to even switch a light on never mind a computer.

I think there is no chance at all of this earning a bean for anyone -- it must simply be someone's idea of a joke I think.

pj123 13:56 18 Dec 04

Mango Grummit, no this is not a joke. It is a real problem. Just watch Watchdog on BBC Television.

Kate B, yes it is a poor reflection of the state of literacy in this country.

As an IT/Literacy/Numeracy teacher/trainer in Norfolk I didn't believe the amount of people who couldn't read or write. I just hope that in my 10 years with Norfolk County Council Training Services I managed to teach someone to read and write.

jack 14:07 18 Dec 04

Kate B and pj123
You are so right, but inapproiate kanguage occursin legitimate business circles too.
Have you read any estate agent property decription
lately?
Some must be composed by individuals who failed to get into sixth form college

LastChip 17:37 18 Dec 04

Those that have already fallen for the con trick, will be very willing to believe they are going to receive reimbursement.

This offer of "free money" to the poorest of our land, is an offer that cannot be ignored.

The sad part of all these scams, they are aimed at the most vulnerable of society, that really do need some protection from these individuals.

The latest mobile telephone scam, I believe charges something like £50 per minute (yes, you did read that correctly) and all the government can turn around and say is, "at this moment in time, no crime has been committed".

Tell that to the poor souls that fell for it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…