Do I get sufficient Vitamin D from a Smoked Salmon Sandwich

wee eddie 20:57 10 Aug 14

It has been suggested that us Oldies increase our Vitamin D intake.

Do you think that this will suffice?

rdave13 21:36 10 Aug 14

Try cod liver oil, sausages, fish, oysters, caviar, ham, milk, cheese, eggs, and mushrooms and sunbathing.

wee eddie 21:52 10 Aug 14

You've obviously been reading the same websites as I have.

Aitchbee 21:55 10 Aug 14

slightly off subject, the vitamin I'm talkin' about is C. I was totally amazed by a smashing BBC documentary which was aired MUCH earlier today [about 2am] in which actor John Hurt, who was the narrator, explained how the Innuit people survive 'n' thrive in some of the most hostile and coldest regions on the planet by catching and humanely killing hundreds of little tern bird in the Summer months, sealing them all up in a giant sealskin container [so's the flies can't get at 'em] then they dig a hole in the ground and cover 'em up with boulders. Then, a few months later when it's impossibe to catch any food, they dig 'em up [the birds] and have a whale-of-a-time devouring those little terns, which we were told smelled quite revolting, but had a high vitamin C content equivalent to fresh orange juice.

rdave13 21:56 10 Aug 14

Didn't see smoked salmon. Salmon yes but I thought the process of smoking meat reduced Vit D via the actual process.

Doesn't matter.

Aitchbee 22:11 10 Aug 14

wee eddie - I have at least one tin of skinless & boneless mackerel fillets [in sunflower oil] for breakfast or lunch daily ... currently 59p a tin at Lidl.

Joseph Kerr 10:25 11 Aug 14

I have no idea of your vintage, Eddie, but have a look at this...

click here

Joseph Kerr 10:36 11 Aug 14

On the other hand, you may not feel you need it. Perhaps it's better to take it because you have proactively decided it may be good for you, rather than because some health care official or politician says you should.

spuds 11:06 11 Aug 14

It make me wonder how some people manage to survive nowadays.

Five a day, then seven a day, now some experts seem to be saying that they now have it all wrong. Was this just a marketing exercise, in making people scared that they were not getting enough, of whatever product they were lacking?.

I am perhaps from the old camp, of eat what you like, when you like, and go from there?.

I exclude all the junk food, which some people make a daily habit of eating, then complain they are slightly over weight, yet it is obvious they are obese?.

sunnystaines 14:44 11 Aug 14

if eating salmon make sure its not farm salmon the flesh is very toxic especially if nowergian.

there was an excellent doc on rt tv last week did anone else watch it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…