Do computers tell lies ? :-)

Miros 08:50 11 May 08

Just seen an entry in 'my postings' by myself that I couldn't recall making, when I checked it out the last entry was 05/03 2007, this was the reason for my memory lapse. Somehow it has jumped the queue and moved ahead of many later entries and this is why ( part in jest) I ask do they tell lies?

Discussing this point with a professor friend of mine who introduced me to my first PC some time ago, he agreed that like politicians they both tell lies sometimes.

Miros 08:58 11 May 08

Just checked further it actually does show the last entry as being 08/05/2008 but when I log on to the subject there is no entry for that date and still shows last entry as being 05/03/2007.

Forum Editor 09:00 11 May 08

software sometimes 'lies', if you can call it that. The software does what its code tells it to do in given scenarios, but sometimes a particular combination of circumstances beats the system - the software acts unexpectantly. It's not lying as such, it's just doing something you and the developer didn't anticipate.

Miros 09:06 11 May 08

I have checked it out further and it has indeed move up to I think it was page three of the helproom forum, but no entry made. Could it be you have censored something or is it just as you suggest a blip?

Miros 09:12 11 May 08

As it's not important anyway, I will close this thread and remain just a little more confused as always :-)

bremner 09:43 11 May 08

A developer/programmer friend always describes such lies as an "undocumented design feature"

Miros 09:49 11 May 08

A UDF perhaps?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:40 11 May 08

not a lie,

a little information error.

Stuartli 18:49 11 May 08

Don't forget that My Postings is unique to each forum member...:-)

MCE2K5 19:28 11 May 08

Could have been a Spammer on that date (08/05/2008), Post would have been deleted by FE, But Date would remain.

Miros 22:03 11 May 08

That that makes sense to me. Since I closed the thread March last year I wouldn't get any notifacation myself, it was only by chance that I noticed it queue jumping.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…