DIY and CD abuse or never say die.

Diemmess 11:15 19 Nov 05

Installing via Disk1 a nice new Corel v.12 I installed the components I wanted, tried the thing out. All OK

Returning later to explore further in that disk, found I was unable to read or run the same Disk1.
Took it out to have a look and found an irregular roughening about 6mm in diameter on the shiney side of the CD. which certainly didn't respond to TLC with a damp cloth.
Panic!

Attempts to obtain a replacement were met with unexpected "difficulties"
click here

With nothing to lose I tried a soft rag loaded with proponol, and a smear of jewellers rouge.
Mighty pleased that the blob polished off in about 5 minutes.
Loads of rubbing but bit by bit it worked!

What the blob was, or how it got there is a mystery.
My workspace is neither the cleanest nor the tidiest, but it is no tip. The CD drawer spends
most of its life closed.
I think I must have laid the naked disk down on some crumb or crud and the laser cooked it on.

spuds 11:39 19 Nov 05

Could well be right about the crumbs and crud,and I wonder how one of those CD repair gadgets would fair. There seems to be a number of them about nowadays at greatly reduced prices, so perhaps not as successful as first thought out.

Reading a short time ago about the wonders of WD40, and how that can be a great help in some mysterious repair and prevention situations.

Chris the Ancien 15:11 19 Nov 05

Some time back, when on special offer, I bought a device called 'SkipDr'. You put the disc into a special polishing machine, turn the handle a few times and 'Hey Presto', nice clean and scratch-free disc.

I needed to use it the other day on a CD (of my wife's) and it worked a dream.

Saved aeons of trying to use some of the unsuccessful techniques I've used in the past!

I also remember in the dim distant past of these mighty threads, someone talking about a company that will work on deeply scratched discs. You sent the disc to them, and they'd skim off a few microns of the clear plastic, re-polish it and you'd have a serviceable disc back - or your money back.

Of course, if you've scratched the 'label' side, that's a completely different can of worms! :o((

€dstowe 15:15 19 Nov 05

I always find it incredible to hear or read of the way that people mistreat valuable, and in some cases, very valuable items such as this.

For some time now we have been producing CDs and DVDs for sales promotions and things like that. We've had a number of them returned to us with complaints that they don't work and on examination they always show signs of maltreatment. One in particular appeared to have been dropped on to a fried egg, judging from its condition and the stuff that was dried on to it.

OK, our discs are just low value promo items but if people threat them like that, the chances are that they treat other items the same way.

I'm moaning, I know, but please look after your equipment. Keep it in the protective covers or cases when not in use.

Chegs ®™ 23:54 19 Nov 05

I've found that a blob of T-Cut™ and a bit of elbow grease to be a reasonably effective cure for some scratched CD's,then once its not being ignored by the optical drive I have an app from PCA coverdisk,(CDX Rescue) that can extract the data and then I can burn a fresh CD.

Diemmess 13:38 22 Nov 05

You are probably on the ball with T cut.
I had forgotten about an ageing can in the garage and used a stick of stuff meant for metal polishing on a felt mop.
The important thing at the time seemed to be to avoid too coarse particles in the polishing agent and risk leaving a scratchy surface.

Chegs ®™ 14:01 22 Nov 05

There is also a glass "scratch remover" that does a darn good job,even on pretty deep scratches but its name escapes me.Next time I'm over at my mates,I'll have another dig in his garage for it,he used it to remove the scoring on the windscreen of my car after the MOT tester picked them up.(They were caused by the neighbours kids either running over my car or the constant booting of footballs into my car)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…