Distant banging noise at night

bumpkin 14:57 06 Jan 17

I live fairly close to Heathrow and also the new rail link but rarely get any noise of any concern fortunately. Recently, last month or so I have noticed a banging sound in the middle of the night, not enough to wake me but just audible if I happen to be awake. It can go on for hours but not really a nuisance, I am just curious as to what it is. Pile driving was my first thought but the bangs seem only about 1sec apart which is not how I remember it. Any ideas.

Old Deuteronomy 15:05 06 Jan 17

Moles with sledgehammers...

bumpkin 15:30 06 Jan 17

So you think it may be tunneling.

Sapins 15:42 06 Jan 17

Moles are trained to do fracking

bumpkin 16:08 06 Jan 17

I haven't got any fracking moles.

tullie 17:04 06 Jan 17

Check neighbors gate,maybe not secure in the wind.

bumpkin 18:38 06 Jan 17

A sensible suggestion tullie, I had not considered anything as simple as that. I have just checked my own recently fitted one which is bolted but still has some movement so I have wedged it now. I have a feeling you have hit the nail on the head (pun)

bumpkin 19:09 06 Jan 17

Well! having spoken to my son he says that he heard it while staying with a friend about a mile and a half away and that his friend was told it was something to do with Cross Rail.

Forum Editor 20:57 06 Jan 17

It could well be a pile hammer, but it's difficult to say without hearing it. In any case, it should not be happening in the middle of the night.

A blow rate of an impact every second is not usual, but again, it's very difficult to make informed guesses.

If it's a nuisance, you might want to contact CrossRail. The project operates a noise mitigation scheme. Contact them by emailing: [email protected]

bumpkin 21:32 06 Jan 17

*A blow rate of an impact every second is not usual. *

That was my thought but I am not familiar with modern piling techniques. As I said, it is not a nuisance and tullies suggestion sounded more likely until I found that it had been heard by others over a mile away. Some kind of third party explanation was apparently rendered by the council saying it could not be done during daytime due to the tracks being used but that is only hear say.

Old Deuteronomy 21:36 06 Jan 17

On the other hand, if it is moles, Jasper Carrot might be able to help.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This 2D animation about monsters is illustrated in a Van Gogh painterly style

How to get WWDC 2017 tickets