disrespectful or not

finerty 23:24 08 Jun 12

if i gave my car to someone and ownership is leagally transferred, the new owner is repsonsible for that vehicle and can do what he or she likes right.

Now wouldnt the same apply to medals awarded by the Queen, as they are now th property of the recipient

Medals for sale

Condom 23:44 08 Jun 12

Medals of all sorts have always been collected and I can see no difference with this one. If they are simply long service medals then they will be pretty worthless. The recipient is entitled to do whatever they wish with their medals and no Police Chiefs should be able to prevent it. I should imagine someone is just stirring up the mud today following Winsor's nomination.

Forum Editor 06:31 09 Jun 12

Medals are routinely bought and sold. Legal ownership of the medal itself can pass from person to person; a medal for valour is simply a physical indicator that an honour was bestowed - in itself it is worth what a purchaser is prepared to pay - nothing more than that. The honour doesn't pass to anyone with the medal.

morddwyd 07:35 09 Jun 12

What a piece of nonsense.

This is the Government insidiously setting up its stall for the inevitable dispute over Winsor.

The Conservatives have a history of putting people with no practical experience in charge (Beeching, MacGregor) to effect major cost cutting, with disastrous results.

No reason to suppose this one will be any different.

morddwyd 09:39 09 Jun 12

"To go from commemoration medals to Winsor in one jump!"

Not me, guv.

Condom, 11.44, yesterday!

Condom 10:25 09 Jun 12

It was me Guv. I dun it. I'll come quietly

spuds 15:14 09 Jun 12

There maybe trouble ahead?

It would appear as though the powers in being are on a crash course, possibly in a similar vein as to the Thatcher government was in tackling the unions and the way they also dealt with the miner's. Nothing like going for the back-bone of the country ?.

Regarding the selling of medal's or honour items, then this is for the individual themselves to decide. Not many people seem to object when a VC is sold, or a footballer, sports-person or even a torch bearer decides to offload their unwanted goods. So why should this be any different, in this particular incident involving the police and other emergency services, there isn't going to be a scarcity of the actual product, namely a medal?.

Perhaps a debate elsewhere. But referral to Winsor, also brings in a question mark as to this person's competence. Was he not involved in rail regulations, and I think we all may possibly know how that as turned out. I would imagine a few Chief Constables and possible senior ranks might be rather concerned?.

Woolwell 16:19 09 Jun 12

It is unusual for people still serving to sell medals as they may at some stage have to wear them.

Woolwell 16:23 09 Jun 12

At least the distribution of the Diamond Jubilee medals seems to be better than the one for the Silver Jubilee. In that case there were only a few per unit and lots were drawn to get one.

john bunyan 16:37 09 Jun 12

Woolwell

It did not bother me but I never understood why some service people (not me!) got the silver jubilee medal and others did not. Near the day in question (silver) a submarine surfaced South of Bute because the Royal Yacht was passing and my buddy and I found ourselves sitting in our canoe athwart the fin. It was night and the S/M were surprised when we shone a red torch down the periscope. We were due to join them but this was a bit sooner than either expected.....Happy days!

Woolwell 19:01 09 Jun 12

I didn't get one either. It didn't bother me and I think that the few who did get one were rather embarrassed to have it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant