Disposing of old toxic paint tins/ aerosols etc

muddypaws 14:28 02 Aug 10

I thought I would be environmentally friendly when I cleared out shelves of old paint tins and aerosols this morning by disposing of them at the Council tip as per their web advice.
So I drive 5 miles there and on arrival I ask the supervisor where do I put the old paint tins etc. He replies "Just throw them in the general household waste container mate" !!
Why did I bother?!
Why should I/we bother?

BT 16:46 02 Aug 10

How about this if there's one in your area.

click here

onthelimit 16:51 02 Aug 10

Odd - my local recycle site had a small skip for old paint tins only.

rickf 17:04 02 Aug 10

my local recycle site has almost all facilities, paint tins, aerosols, cd's, batteries, car batteries, plastics, white goods, the list goes on. i think it's one of the better botoughs for recycling.

rickf 17:06 02 Aug 10

+mobile phones, computers, TV's, 78's, mags, diffrent kinds of glass, furniture etc

spuds 18:12 02 Aug 10

Perhaps a word in the council's ear might change the tune of the supervisor.

Our local council 'recycling depot' and that of neighbouring council's are all run by private contractor's who tender for the job every so often. But the council's do have strict rules on how their sites are run. In the case of most items, each as its own area or container, and it would soon be brought to your attention, if you mix the areas up.

Any 'good' items (like Dyson cleaners) or computer equipment usually end up in dry storage.

octal 18:57 02 Aug 10

Yes, it does make you feel like that doesn't it? I must say our local authority in Waltham Forest is particularly good at recycling, if you take anything to the local waste disposal it's carefully sorted, it gives people the incentive to sort their rubbish out than just chucking it all in the bin together.

Forum Editor 19:10 02 Aug 10

Almost all paints on sale now are water-based, and in the future all paints will be this kind.

You don't need to use any special disposal methods for water-based paints, but to make it more convenient you can convert paint to an easily disposable solid by mixing it with ordinary cat litter - one part litter to two parts paint. Stir the litter into the cans, and leave with the lid off for a couple of days.

You'll end up with an easily-handled solid that goes in the normal waste bin. Dispose of cans in the usual way.

muddypaws 19:18 02 Aug 10

Forum Editor
Handy tip--thanks. Never have thought of that.
Still got one or two.
BT
Thanks for link.
Entered my post code and nearest was Dublin!!
Obviousy a site error as I am in Kent!

ronalddonald 19:21 02 Aug 10

how do you dispose of aerosols, my council doesn't have any remedies.

Forum Editor 23:25 02 Aug 10

Each year we use around 600 million aerosol cans, and 75% of all local authorities have aerosol collection policies in place. If you're sure that yours doesn't it might be an idea to contact the recycling officer and ask why not.

In the meantime you can treat your empty aerosols just like any other cans, and put them in the appropriate bin. Make sure they're empty first though - there have been some nasty accidents caused by people putting part-full aerosols in waste bins.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…