the disgusting cost of hospital payphones

lofty29 15:28 23 Jul 09

I had to spend a couple of days in hospital last week, my mobile had a flat battery and only had creditcard with, made a couple of quick calls to my wife, only about threee minutes each time, from south devon to north devon. Just had the charges come through £2.50. a time, this is really ripping the public off.

john bunyan 17:42 23 Jul 09

My grand daughter (17) is in hospital for 6 weeks. At £2 a day the TV cost is £84 ! Luckily they allow mobile phones. I wish they had wi fi - then maybe one could use a laptop for broadband TV. I wonder if a TV dongle in a laptop would work in a hospital?

lofty29 18:00 23 Jul 09

John Bunyan
Whilst I was in previously for two weeks, one of my fellow patients had his laptop with him and a load of dvd's.

Stuartli 18:16 23 Jul 09

This has been a bone of contention for many years - long stay patients at our local hospitals normally use their mobile phones and also bring in portable TV sets.

Sometimes they cannot use the mobile in certain wards, so you often see patients going to another, more suitable area nearby.

john bunyan 18:17 23 Jul 09

So far she has cost me: 1. A new iPod touch 32Gig ( with about 10 DVD films shrunk on to it, including Slumdog Millionaire), TV at £2 a day, ready meals etc. I suspect she is conning me but I love her dearly!

john bunyan 18:25 23 Jul 09

No one. Just access to a plug in public pay phone plugged in as it used to be.

canarieslover 19:24 23 Jul 09

I suspect that their business model isn't working because few people are prepared to pay their extortionate prices. There comes a point at which you get rapidly diminishing returns as you raise prices.

lofty29 19:28 23 Jul 09

fourm member
This was not a bedside fancy all singing all dancing thingy, but a public payphone in the main entrance to the hospital, nothing to do with hospital costs, even BT do not have charges as high as this, £2.50 for three minutes, so much for competition.

lofty29 19:29 23 Jul 09
  Stuartli 19:40 23 Jul 09

>>..are actually losing money because their business model doesn't work>>

You can't blame the patients, visitors and those who ring in for that.

It was probably seen as a cash cow by these companies initially but all our local hospitals, who generally banned all mobiles use, made it clear a while back that they can be freely used in the majority of areas.

See:

click here

click here

I suspect too that the fact that so many doctors and consultants used their mobiles whilst on their rounds, despite the then general ban, has raised quite a few eyebrows over the years.

Stuartli 19:42 23 Jul 09

On a visit to Ormskirk hospital last year, I was pleasantly surprised to see large signs indicating where mobiles could be used within the hospital buildings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now