Disclaimers and T's & C's

sean-278262 18:09 28 Sep 04

I have been wondering now for some time does anyone feel the same.

I am sick and tired of companies and developers providing software over the internet that hide the install of other non related software in the terms and conditions or disclaimers.

Today for the second time I was hit by a programme (by lop.com) that installed a bar for searches and set my default home page to theirs. My problem is if i download something, it is because I want IT, not some other app thats waisting my bandwidth and time to download not to mention the 10 minutes it took me to find the uninstaller to download off the web (insulting to have to download it as it had the audicity of being bundled with the programme with no mention of how to get rid of it).

Whats the point of having something thats half as good, if I am 100% happy with google and its search bar.

I feel computer users PC MAC whatever should unite and cause a revolt to change the way these things are installed. We should aim to demand that any other software be clearly mentioned on a separate page of the installer, and a much reduced version of the disclaimers and terms and conditions.

Any other suggestions or comments on this please as i am totally fustrated.

Valvegrid 18:33 28 Sep 04

I do feel for you, as I have fallen foul to this in the past.

Now-a-days I very carefully read the licence and/or terms and conditions. You usually find one line that states what is going to be bundled, and I don't care how long it takes to read it all, you often find something and if I do........

Application<------------bargepole------------->Me!

Forum Editor 18:42 28 Sep 04

you're young, and in time you'll gain in experience, and learn to leave such software well alone. Reading between the lines you're probably talking about freeware, and there's a lot of bad stuff out there. Decent software will not come with a hidden payload, but it usually costs money - often not a lot. It will be worth it, because you'll have peace of mind.

Dsclaimers and terms and conditions are necessarily a little complex - they have to be to protect companies from possible litigation, and to protect their copyright. Many unscrupulous freeware/shareware writers will deliberately include a long and tedious list of terms and conditions in the hope that you'll not bother to read it - and thus miss the little paragraph that says you agree to a dialer being installed - it's not at all unusual, and you're not the only one to find it infuriating. There's an easy way to avoid it though - just don't download anything unless you are happy that it's from a reputable source - that's where the experience comes in. With practice you'll learn to distinguish good sources from bad - most of the time.

sean-278262 19:29 28 Sep 04

I understand your point but most of the disclaimers are legal mumbo jumbo and condensing one down results generally with a single page of text (find one and try yourself, to rewrite it in simple english) much easier to read and comprehend rather than the usual 6+ pages of long winded round about ways of saying simple things.

I dont want them abolished just a simple one that any idiot can comprehend knowing what will be installed. I understand that they are a formality in todays world but why should everyone have to read it especially in software designed for younger children. Where for them all they want to do is play the game (most now knowing how to do anything on a computer) and us adults have to live with repairing the aftermath

MOMENT OF INSPIRATION - why not just include another page in the setup stating exactly what software is going to be installed.

In general I do read over any t&cs or disclaimers but often i find myself in the need for a particular programme swiftly for reasons outside of my control. I just hate having things hidden inside something else, it is like buying a bag of crisps and finding mostly popcorn I dont want the popcorn i want just the crisps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…