disability motor scooters

sunnystaines 19:31 05 Sep 09

are great for the disabled, but do feel they need to check people are ok before they are let loose on them with no training.

today while in scarborough while window shopping on a steep slope leaning down to the harbour an old dear who had lost control of her motorbility scooter drove straight into us. no injury to us other than a bit of bruising and shock and the lady apologised.

should shopping area's on steep inclines consider ban their use,or how would you ensure safety

laurie53 20:30 05 Sep 09

Reputable dealers will not only check people out before selling them, but will also visit at home to check on the area it will be used, storage, charging points etc.

Remember the days before bikes were limited? A quick twenty minutes with whatever mechanic didn't happen to be busy and you could take 1,000cc onto the North Circular (and many did!).

We have bought several scooters from local dealers, and even though they know we use scooters they still insist on checking us out.

The troble is there are too many get rich quick merchants out to make a quick buck from a vulnerable person.

That's why you will often see people struggling with the small three wheel scooters in normal street work when they are really just for indoors and shopping centres and the like.

Difficult to understand the loss of control if it was a normal straight road - they all operate the "dead man's handle" system, as soon as you let go of, or relax, the control it stops dead.

Perhaps she simply froze on the control, this happens with cars, bikes, even aeroplanes. No way of controlling that of course.

The "banning" option is fraught with difficulties. If you do it you have to have alternative arrangements in place or you could be on the wrong end of discrimination proceedings.

My wife and I both know there are some places to which we simply can't go, but others take the view that if wheelchairs can get to the top of Snowdon or Cairngorm then they should be able to shop wherever they want.

sunnystaines 09:03 06 Sep 09

the spot where our saga happened a shop keeper said this is always happening the other week a small toddler was injured when an old man lost control on the downward slope too and run down the kid.

normal shopping places no problem they are great for OAP's but on steeper inclines i feel the council should issue a warning not suitable for these scooters.

Quickbeam 09:54 06 Sep 09

"steeper inclines" Yes, as they have no brakes, the motor is used to decelerate, moderate inclines are the limit of their safe use.

You were lucky that an apology was accepted in the opening post, my mother got one and had a slight collision with some one that immediately stated that they were going to sue her for thousands leaving her in a shocked state. They must have got short shrift from the insurance company that told them it would have to be proved in court and that independent witnesses told a different story to the one that they must have told to the 'phone4squillions' hotline.

I've since arranged 3rd party insurance for it.

Quickbeam 09:56 06 Sep 09

Or rather 'she' was lucky....

Cymro. 09:58 06 Sep 09

Yes very wise indeed Quickbeam and something all users of such things should have in these days of everyone jumping to sue everyone else for every little accident.

sunnystaines 10:01 06 Sep 09

"no brakes" no wonder they were all losing control going downhill, sounds dangerous not to fit brakes

sunnystaines 10:08 06 Sep 09

the slope down is also on a bend. Not a staight rd.

we only had minor bruising, did not make an issue of it disabled people have enough problems without further hassle, I do not think she will try that street again.

Jak_1 10:19 06 Sep 09

It would seem to me that the firm supplying the services of these to the public should have someone well qualified to give instructions and training for the use of them. The user should have to pass a basic test in it's use before being allowed to use it on public streets or in a store. If a person has a mental impairment as in altzeimers for example, and unable to fully understand the controls, then the use of a scooter should be refused for the safety of both the user and the public. If a person does not have the capacity to control a scooter safely then the use of a standard wheelchair could be offered and that person's carer can push them around with ease.

jack 10:20 06 Sep 09

A seller has a pitch in the Indoor Market and a stall in the Saturday open market.

So can anyone buy these things and Get on and Go?

One such rider who has quite a powerful one used to be seen around the town tapping has way around with a white stick.
I appreciate the white stick may not mean blind - but certainly impaired sight- Now he drives this blessed thing around - with his white stick tucked in a holder at his shoulder.

Quickbeam 11:34 06 Sep 09

'laurie53' has adopted a new identity since last night click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…