Disability Dolls

crosstrainer 11:16 07 Jul 08

Is this really the way forward in heightening awareness of disability in our society?

It smacks of marketing, and has more than a little of the sick joke about it for my liking.

Surely the key to getting young people to understand is via education, rather than dolls with prosthetic limbs and the like.

click here

day2strike 11:18 07 Jul 08

Well it seems they are sold only in the USA at the moment?

spuds 12:11 07 Jul 08

I have no problem with this, providing that it is used for educational purposes or perhaps 'a similar friend' situation.

Remember the days of getting a male/female or even a black doll was extremely hard. Barbie dolls and Action man came into being, and these products have proved a very successful marketing ventures.

The day I dread is when the horror video game doll comes into being, guts and all, in the name of enjoyment and a child's pleasure.

oresome 13:14 07 Jul 08

I suspect it's a good marketing ploy, but is it any more harmful than a doll having idealised features that few can match up to in real life?

I admit to being a little uneasy with the concept and will hold judgement until I've heard a few more opinions expressed.

mrwoowoo 17:36 07 Jul 08

I think i'm on the fence with oresome on this one.
The part in the article about the down's syndrome child who's face lit up and said"this is me" made me go Ahhh.
On the whole though, i'm a bit uneasy about it as some of the dolls disabilities seem to have gone too far.I could imagine a sadistical child having a bit of 'fun' with these.
For all of their moral and charitable motives,would they produce these if they were not comercially viable? No of course not.

Forum Editor 17:38 07 Jul 08

when you read this.....but I agree with every word of your opening post.

laurie53 20:34 07 Jul 08

Having a "disbility" doll will no more teach someone about disability than Action Man teaches them about life in the army.

Brumas 20:50 07 Jul 08

Wise words.

hssutton 21:13 07 Jul 08

Being the parent of a disabled daughter, I would say from experience that the young are already aware and in most cases act very naturally with disabled people. It's usually the adults that need to be more aware.

carver 21:22 07 Jul 08

A very sick idea, you can't teach some one what it's like to be disabled by showing them a doll, the only way is to get children to interact with some one who has a disability but this can be very hard for either child.

Now if you want to try and understand what life is like for an austitic child look here
click here

Chegs ®™ 03:21 08 Jul 08

I believe there's been some misguided thinking gone on with these dolls.Just because one parents child said "this is me" does not mean every child will.

Reading through the piece linked,I got a strange sensation that I was being "sold" something,and that something I found disturbing.Then the article mentions children supposedly trying to be Bratz,so I can safely assume that children do try to be Bratz by dressing in similar clothing with their midriffs exposed and plunging necklines but I refuse to accept that these dolls will aid childrens understanding of disabilities,certainly the use of dolls to explain medical procedures I can accept.I would imagine a child discovering their doll has a prosthetic limb will go tell mummy "its broken"

spuds said "The day I dread is when the horror video game doll comes into being..." Wasnt there a "Chuckie" doll for sale? (after the horror film of the same name)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…