Dircet Debit - Again!

laurie53 06:15 18 May 08

I normally buy my National Lottery tickets by on-line subscription.

I can now no longer do this unless I give Camelot a DD mandate (which I will not do for reasons which are not part of this thread).

Now I know all about the economics of collection via DD and otherwise, but I will take some convincing that it is more economic for Camelot to ask my bank for £1 a week, albeit electronically, than it is to have up to £25 of my money in their interest earning account for up to 6 months at a time.

In addition, of course, I now buy at my local retailer, who gets to keep 5p of every ticket I buy.

Forum Editor 08:55 18 May 08

I suspect that the Camelot rule has less to do with economics and more to do with administrative problems associated with credit card payments (and frauds) from all over the world.

belfman 09:30 18 May 08

Tesco's quickpay pay when you do your shopping.

Bingalau 10:53 18 May 08

You should always buy your lottery tickets from your local corner shop type retailer. As laurie53 says they get a percentage of it and it helps to keep them going. I've started buying most of my stuff from such a shop lately in preference to places like Tesco's and ASDA. Pity mine doesn't flog petrol?

belfman 11:03 18 May 08

Why should I support the local shop?

It's over-priced and run by a buffoon and his obnoxious wife.

Cymro. 11:15 18 May 08

Why should I support the local shop?
I agree very much belfman. Small local corner shops are very much over rated but I will have to start a new thread to argue about it.

spuds 17:41 18 May 08

I do not know if it still applies, but at one time retailers received a 'bonus' on wins.

laurie53 07:05 19 May 08

I have only two local shops which sell lottery tickets.

One is run by a rude and ignorant boor, and the other is a supermarket.

spider9 09:00 19 May 08

My advice might be to give up buying lottery tickets, they are a poor bet as gambling goes.

Pine Man 11:48 19 May 08

I buy my lottery tickets on line for the very simple reason that they cannot be lost. You always get paid out - if you win ;-)

I am a bit confused about the DD though because I have always paid for mine by debit card and did so on Saturday.

spider9 11:52 19 May 08

Direct Debit and paying by Debit card are two completely different, un-connected ways of payment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…