the difference between rich/poor people!!!

Al94 17:18 18 Jul 06

One day, the father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the country with the express purpose of showing him how poor people live. They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be considered a very poor family.

On the return from their trip, the father asked his son, "How was the trip?

It was great, Dad."

Did you see how poor people live?" The father asked.

Oh yeah," said the son.

So, tell me what did you learn from the trip?" asked the father.

The son answered: "I saw that we have one dog and they had four. We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that has no end. We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at night. Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon. We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go beyond our sight. We have servants who serve us, but they serve others. We buy our food, but they grow theirs. We have walls around our property to protect us; they have friends to protect them."

The boy's father was speechless.

Then his son added, "Thanks, Dad, for showing me how poor we are."

Isn't perspective a wonderful thing? Makes you wonder what would happen if we all gave thanks for everything we have, instead of worrying about what we don't have.

Appreciate every single thing you have, especially your friends!

Pass this on to friends and acquaintances and help them refresh their perspective and appreciation.

Life is too short and friends are too few.

wee eddie 17:33 18 Jul 06

I think that this is pedalling a slightly simplistic outlook and certainly did not encompass those living in an urban or metropolitan environment

patsyanne 17:38 18 Jul 06

But i liked it ,it reminded me of India where people i know,dont have much but are happy with what they got.

wee eddie 18:19 18 Jul 06

yeah but how about those that live in areas where work has disappeared, ex-pit villages, ex-steel works, ex-fishing ports.

It's pretty obvious that in a rural idyll in-which the participant owns their own property has as good a chance of satiety as anyone!

ezypcy 18:34 18 Jul 06

Nice fable.
It reminds me of the poor man with his home computer
versus the corporate boss with the latest quad core
corporate pc.

After both men compared machines the poor man said -
"At least my basic computer passed the WGA test" !!

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:19 18 Jul 06

'it reminded me of India where people i know,don't have much but are happy with what they got.'...that would be a shortened life-span, little modern hospital care, no social security, disgusting illnesses and the only chance of making money is to sell a kidney or various other body bits. Don't think that I'll swap.

G

ezypcy 19:59 18 Jul 06

Travelled twice through India.
From the north Punjab,down to Kerela and then over
to Madras (now called Chennai ).

If you want to learn about yourself (and not sit
all day by your pc) you will find that it is one
of the most exciting countries in the world.

People are wonderful, even taking into account
that everyone is after some of your money or a pen!
India has rapidly progressed in the last decade.
We all know that it is an up and coming power-house.
Especially in the computer and software fields.
There is still massive poverty in the country and
great wealth.

Many people are currently going there for medical care.
Great but I'm not sure I would.Still it's a great sign.

patsyanne 20:20 18 Jul 06

Sorry GANDALF <|:-)> but when were you last in India ? There are poor people in India but no where near like it used to be, the goverment is trying to help the farmers, only thing is the population !Indians are very rich compared to Africans who heaven help them dont have the rains like India does .

patsyanne 20:20 18 Jul 06

Sorry thats just my opinion .

DieSse 23:11 18 Jul 06

Happiness is appreciating what you do have, not forever longing over what you don't have.

wolfie3000 23:35 18 Jul 06

As long as i have a warm bed at night 3 meals a day water to drink and bathe in and the love from my friends and family thats all i need,

everything else is a bonus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac