did the earth move for you???

Seth Haniel 16:06 08 Nov 10

click here

click here

The Large Hadron Collider has successfully created a "mini-Big Bang" by smashing together lead ions instead of protons.

The scientists working at the enormous machine on Franco-Swiss border achieved the unique conditions on 7 November.

The experiment created temperatures a million times hotter than the centre of the Sun.

all this power and we've suffered two power cuts today :(

babybell 16:32 08 Nov 10

Perhaps it was the Hadron atom smashed that caused your power to go?!

skeletal 16:51 08 Nov 10

Not so long ago the world was panicking that this big bang would swallow us all up: the end is nigh, we’re all doomed, blah, blah, blah. I’m most pleased to see that my total lack of concern was justified and hope that this great piece of work will lead to further understanding of the universe.

One slight worry is the incredibly high temperatures suggested; I now await the scientifically illiterate doom-mongers to latch on to this and claim it’s bound to add to global warming!

Skeletal

Mr Mistoffelees 19:23 08 Nov 10

More information and news here: click here

grey george 20:27 08 Nov 10

This link allows you to watch real time activity at the LHC click here
I believe that once the ion collisions are completed the complex is shutting down for maintenance for nearly a year.

OTT_B 20:32 08 Nov 10

10 trillion degrees Celsius? It's not that hot. My curry on Friday night was hotter than that ;)

I don't know if that's a scientific milestone or not, but it certainly sounds impressive to me.

mr simon 02:19 09 Nov 10

All this talk of particle physics has given me a hadron.

sunnystaines 07:46 09 Nov 10

i find this science project very interesting, always follow the progress.

as for the blackhole risk, open minded.

grey george 16:52 09 Nov 10

The year long shut down is scheduled for the end of 2011. Seems I fell for a bit of BBC hype. click here
and the real facts click here

timsmith259 07:17 11 Nov 10

when will they one day make a mistake and kill of the entire human race, and the entire animal-race and earth itself

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017