Did anyone actually boycott Google then?

spikeychris 13:33 03 Sep 07

click here Did you try alternative search engines?

click here if the above link doesn’t format.

Earthsea 13:39 03 Sep 07

Nope.

Earthsea 13:56 03 Sep 07

The Chinese government does things its own way and we have to live with it. First I've heard about the Free Tibet supporters' boycott, but I don't see how Google can be to blame. What would a boycott achieve, anyway?

I expect China will become a democracy one day and things will change, but there's nothing the outside world can do.

spikeychris 16:16 03 Sep 07

"What would a boycott achieve, anyway?" You need to ask?

lisa02 16:28 03 Sep 07

Why should I stop using Google because the Chinese Government asked it to censor search results viewed in it's own country by it's own citizens?

The Chinese will sort themselves out, they could teach us a thing or to about culture and civilisation.

Totally-braindead 16:34 03 Sep 07

Missed the post so no I didn't. But I don't know if I would have anyway even if I'd known about it.

Thinking about it I wouldn't have boycotted it. Why should I.

Forum Editor 16:43 03 Sep 07

that people would boycott Google because they acted in their own interests, did you?

As I think I may have said before, if I was running Google I would have taken the view that it is better to be in China and censored, than not to be in China at all. Censorship in China will come to an end by degrees, and Google knows that as well as I do.

spikeychris 17:14 03 Sep 07

I’m not suggesting anyone should have boycotted Google, I am simply asking whether anyone actually did. Google I believe had no interest in the Chinese people whatsoever, they entered China for commercial reasons and nothing else. Well worn subject I know but Google running a censored service in China was not better than no service at all.

Forum Editor 17:35 03 Sep 07

"they entered China for commercial reasons and nothing else."

You talk as if that was some kind of crime.

spikeychris 18:31 03 Sep 07

I don’t feel it’s a crime by any means – business is business and if you can make a few bob good luck. I was replying to your comment of “you didn't seriously think that people would boycott Google because they acted in their own interests” – whose interests are we talking about?

Totally-braindead 18:43 03 Sep 07

Google acted in Googles interests surely.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5