Detecting Water Pipes

morddwyd 20:09 PM 26 Jul 12

When they installed our wet floor shower a couple of weeks ago I noticed that they used flexible rubber water pipes, like washing machine hoses, not the usual copper.

Question: now I want to fit a couple of grab handles how do I detect these non-metallic pipes?

spuds 20:13 PM 26 Jul 12

Water sounding rod, like the water board use perhaps?.

morddwyd 20:19 PM 26 Jul 12

Only if it's flowing, and is that accurate enough for a 3 mm hole, as opposed to a pickaxe or road drill?

spuds 20:24 PM 26 Jul 12

Any chance of getting in touch with the people who installed the pipe.Perhaps they can provide the answer?.

Forum Editor 20:55 PM 26 Jul 12

"....they used flexible rubber water pipes, like washing machine hoses, not the usual copper."

Are you sure they were rubber, and not plastic? Flexible plastic piping is now used extensively in domestic plumbing and heating installations. It's easy to install, uses push-fit connectors, and most importantly it is cheaper than copper. It will last a very long time indeed, and will not corrode. The plastic piping comes in coils, and is coloured grey or white.

If your installers really used rubber piping you should get them back to do the job again - rubber piping isn't suitable for concealed use, and will not have a long life.

Aitchbee 21:13 PM 26 Jul 12

...with all due respect,morddwyd, you should have thought about that during the installation phase...and watched where the pipes were running.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:17 PM 26 Jul 12

No More Nails?

interzone55 22:10 PM 26 Jul 12

Aitchbee

...with all due respect,morddwyd, you should have thought about that during the installation phase...and watched where the pipes were running

Isn't hindsight wonderful?

Today I had a call from a CCTV installer who needed some wireless CCTV cameras. We don't really sell these, as they're not very good over long distances and through walls.

It turns out this guy is working on a Russian billionaire's house in London, and the renovation designs forgot the CCTV until after they'd installed the marble wall lining in all the rooms, so now they've got no way to bury cables in the walls.

I wonder if the consultant who drew up the renovation spec is still breathing?

amonra 22:55 PM 26 Jul 12

I think you'll find that a very sensitive metal/wood detector will register water filled plastic pipes. Use it on the wood setting and it will have to be adjusted VERY carefully and kept a constant distance from the wall. The change will be very slight but it is possible. I have found plastic central heating pipes under the floor in this way. Good luck.

morddwyd 09:53 AM 27 Jul 12

Thanks all. They are probably plastic, I will try such detectors as I have.

HB

If you seriously think I am going to stand around for a week, getting in everybody's way, getting a headache from the noise, breathing in the dust, unable to use the toilet, unable to make a cup of tea or make a meal while my bathroom is re-plumbed, rewired, re-walled and re-floored and make a map of where flexible pipes, which may move as work progresses, are going I'm afraid you must think again!

Woolwell 12:44 PM 27 Jul 12

I would consider getting them back to do it.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to choose a photographer

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone