Dentist "Relax this isn't going to hurt"

spuds 12:51 10 Dec 06

But is that saying true, especially since new NHS contracts made many dentist's decide to go into private practise.We are hearing of all sorts of stories, and over the past few days, there seems to be further expansions as to the actual role that the dental service should or are providing.Companies that produce dentures, crowns and the like, are know saying that they are being hit hard, and are losing up to 40% of their trade, due to NHS dentist's cutting corners.

What are your views. Is this a case of greed, or is it something with far more serious implications attached.

Watchful 12:58 10 Dec 06

That phrase has been given new meaning to me; only in your wallet springs to mind :0(

Forum Editor 12:59 10 Dec 06

how the dental profession seems to have migrated itself out of the NHS?

How often do you hear a GP saying "I'm sorry, but I only take private patients? What happened to the dental side of the NHS to divorce it almost comletely? I suspect that dentists were finding it hard to make a decent living on the payments they got from the health service, and that's what triggered the exodus.

I doubt that dentists as a breed are greedy. Mine seems a pretty nice man, anyway. I never wince in the chair, but I sometimes do when it's time to get the credit card out after treatment.

Chris the Ancient 13:20 10 Dec 06

My dentist was NHS - and very busy. Standard dialog ran on the lines of, "Any problems? No. Let's do a quick clean up and descale." And that was it.

Now, we have time for a small chat, a proper check up, an thorough clean up and a good reassurance that all is fine. We can also plan any future work and their costings with all the pros and cons without being under the pressure of him dashing into the other room to see how the other patient's local anaesthetic is going. All for £13 per month. I'm converted!

spuds 14:17 10 Dec 06

Chris the Ancient

"All for £13 per month. I'm converted!". But doe's the £13 per month, cover you for 'all' eventualities.

My dentist as just quoted me £200 for an extraction (because the x-ray states 'there could be complications'). The point was made, that should I need this treatment 'as an urgency', and I decided to have the extraction via a NHS hospital, then the waiting list at the present time is 'at least' two years (scare tactic?).The dentist, even though still registered to provide NHS services, states that this particular extraction cannot be undertaken under the NHS with their present agreement and funding!.

Kate B 15:12 10 Dec 06

I think it's a scandal the way that dentists have been allowed to take themselves out of the NHS. It's basic and fundamental healthcare that's so pricey as to be out of the reach of many people. I earn well and the thought of paying £200 for an extraction makes my eyes water.

spuds 15:46 10 Dec 06

Kate B-- My eyes watered also, and when I told the dentist that I could have all my teeth extracted for £200 under the NHS agreement, she wasn't to pleased. The only problem is, I have a good set of teeth for an 'old un', so full extractions are out of the question.

NHS or Private. They have the winning hand, but I suppose there is the old remedy:Back to the large swig of rum and the pliers. :O)

mammak 15:56 10 Dec 06

We live in a small area in Southwest Scotland, and after reading the posts on this thread regarding dentists leaving the NHS, I consider my self very fortunate that our family Dentist has stayed with the NHS, my present Dentist (being in my middle 40s) is the son of the Dentist that treated me when I was in school.

ajm 16:07 10 Dec 06

I am lucky that my uncle is a dentist. I regularly go for checkups and also have a "look" at his server and pcs in his surguery.
The only time I have had to pay was for a extraction. As I am a faily big man and my uncle didnt want to take the risk of giving me the wrong dosage of anaestic, he referred me to onther of his dental colleague. Total cost £150.00 for two teeth to be extracted!

WhiteTruckMan 17:27 10 Dec 06

but all that gets me is an agreement for him to see me. If he actually does anything at all its extra. I even get charged for a scale and polish at £40 per go, done by what looks like a recent school leaver who has no concept of how to use the (power) tools at her disposal. (simply applying them with more and more pressure until the tool stalls. repetedly). Unfortunately all the dentists around here are private and operate the same nice little earner, so I have no choice but to act nice and bear it. Talk about price fixing!

Oh, and these days after a checkup and I am handed my paperwork to give to the reception on the way out I usually forget to make an appointment for the scale and polish these days.

WTM

Kate B 17:55 10 Dec 06

£13 a month for the privilege of being able to book an appointment? Good grief, I'm in the wrong game.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…