Is the demise of the humble telephone approaching soon?

TopCat® 18:52 26 Jul 13
Answered

Here's an interesting topic, with some history, that could be affecting most of us in the not to distant future. Personally I will be clinging on to the current technology for as long as possible, as it certainly serves my needs. How say you on this? TC.

woodchip 20:21 26 Jul 13

You need at this time and for a very long time Telephone lines for Broadband so why should Telephone be designated to Museum

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:25 26 Jul 13

Your probably right - I have a business number and receive very few calls, most of my communication with clients to set up courses is done via e-mail.

Woolwell 20:42 26 Jul 13

I get important voice mail messages left almost on a daily basis unlike the writer of the article. I cannot see the telephone dying out in our household in the near future but it could be replaced by the mobile phone. In some households that has already happened. I find that you can float ideas better with a conversation rather than by email.

Al94 21:55 26 Jul 13

Landline never used, only reason to have it is for broadband.

Aitchbee 22:04 26 Jul 13

As a former BT maintenance engineer in Glasgow, [in the 70's 'n' 80's], strange as it may seem ... most of my [remembered] dreams involve telephone exhanges, telephone wires, telephone poles, telephone faults and all of my telephone workmates ... I can't shake 'em off!

Aitchbee 22:07 26 Jul 13

... some of them are nightmares :o[

rdave13 23:22 26 Jul 13

Yes if they can get any form of 'G' available ALL over the country. Seems to be too complicated or too costly for the shareholders to invest.

Kevscar1 06:29 27 Jul 13

ever liked mobile when I had to have one as soon as I knew I would never work again it went in the bin. Landline is all I need

onthelimit1 10:15 27 Jul 13
Answer

Mobile network in my part of Shropshire is dire, so landline essential.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…