Delivery, Next Working Day?

pj123 15:04 08 Jul 07

What does that mean? I thought every day was a working day now? All of the shops round here are now open and working every day. Even those who vowed they would never open on a Sunday have now been forced to do so.

I ordered an air con unit on Friday from a local DIY store on the internet, next working day delivery, so won't get it until Monday.

I could, of course, have visited the store (it's about 10 miles away) today and bought it there and then. If the store is open every day then they are "working".

Totally-braindead 15:12 08 Jul 07

Come now pj123 you're splitting hairs a bit here aren't you? You're well aware what next working day means for deliveries.
I appreciate your point but most delivery workers, I suppose most workers in general work Monday to Friday 8 to 5 or 9 to 5 or something similar. If they work Saturday its maybe overtime or occassional days. I realise there are exceptions such as shop workers and factory workers etc but when they say next working day you know they mean Monday to Friday.
Otherwise they'd just call it next day delivery, which would at present be impossible to do because as far as I know van delivery drivers don't deliver on Saturdays normally, except perhaps special delivery and certainly don't deliver on Sundays.

spuds 17:03 08 Jul 07

Its a bit like the term 'lifetime guarantee'. Who or what decides depends on many factors.

pj123 17:25 08 Jul 07

Totally-braindead, yes it was said "tongue in cheek".

But I did say I won't get it until Monday.

Then again Argos, Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda and many other Superstores deliver on Saturday and Sunday.

Stuartli 17:38 08 Jul 07

Yes, but supermarkets have their own delivery teams.

PC system suppliers use couriers and they normally work Monday to Friday (a Saturday service is generally an expensive extra).

If your new PC system or whatever is finished late on a Friday, then it will go to the courier on the next working day (i.e. Monday), so you would get it on Tuesday.

interzone55 17:43 08 Jul 07

Curry's delivery 7 days a week, but with most courier firms a Saturday delivery costs 3 times the normal cost, so many companies only offer Monday to Friday deliveries, with a Premium Saturday service offered at additional cost.

I know that's how my employers work it.

pj123 13:05 09 Jul 07

Well, they kept their promise, even down to my "Special Instructions" to deliver before Noon.

It arrived at 1143 today.

Ticked.

spuds 14:59 09 Jul 07

Delivered within seven minutes of the deadline. That driver certainly deserved a cup of tea and a fiver :O)

pj123 15:46 09 Jul 07

I think it is 17 minutes not 7.???

Stuartli 16:20 09 Jul 07

Depends on how many similar deadline parcels the courier had to deliver and the area involved why it was so close to mid-day.

Forum Editor 18:48 09 Jul 07

being a courier driver. I get fairly regular deliveries from Fedex and CityLink, and I sometimes chat to the drivers; they tell me how they get a bit fed up when people aren't in, and they have to return packages to the depot. Roadworks on a regular run can mess up a tight schedule, too.

All in all I don't think they do a bad job.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…