Delay in issuing results of EU survey.

natdoor 21:21 22 Apr 15

I find the report in the Observer click here to be quite enlightening. I think it shows how far Cameron and co are prepared to go in attempting to withold information which counters their prejudices. Apparently the survey was released after parliament closed for the election but I have not seen any other reference in the media to it. The election campaign coverage has ensured that it did not get coverge and much of the press would not want to publish anyway. So the tactic appears to have worked.

Forum Editor 06:21 23 Apr 15

All political parties, including the SNP, adopt tactics designed to show them in the best possible light. Nobody should be naive enough to believe otherwise.

The Press can choose to publish reports or not to publish them, as they see fit. This isn't a unique situation be any means.

morddwyd 07:10 23 Apr 15

"All political parties, including the SNP, adopt tactics designed to show them in the best possible light. Nobody should be naive enough to believe otherwise."

Interesting that the SNP paranoia has reached even these august pages!

No-me mentioned the SNP, just the Scots!

natdoor 20:36 23 Apr 15

FE

I am aware that parties act to show themelves in the best possible light. In this case, our money was spent on a lengthy and thorough investigation of the impact of the EU on our affairs. Clearly it was hoped that the result would provide support for a referendum following negotiations on changes. Had that been the result, we would have been told of the outcome ad nauseum. I simply believe that if our taxes are spent on such an investigation there is a moral obligation to publicise the result. In fact, I would go further and suggest that it ought to be a legal obligation. And perhaps those who tried to manipulate the report should suffer the fate of the mayor of Tower Hamlets.

morddwyd 09:51 24 Apr 15

An indication of just how badly Labour is doing in Scotland may be indicated by a local constituency poll (by Ashcroft, so a respected pollster) which puts them well behind the Tories (9% against 16).

How can Millband and Murphy get it so wrong? Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "Murphy's Law".

natdoor 21:44 25 Apr 15

I learned of some recent scientific research from a friend which might explain the delay in publishing the report.

"Oxford University researchers have discovered the heaviest element yet known to science. The new element, Governmentium (symbol=Gv), has one neutron, 25 assistant neutrons, 88 deputy neutrons and 198 assistant deputy neutrons, giving it an atomic mass of 312.

These 312 particles are held together by forces called morons, which are surrounded by vast quantities of lepton-like particles called pillocks. Since Governmentium has no electrons, it is inert. However, it can be detected, because it impedes every reaction with which it comes into contact.

A tiny amount of Governmentium can cause a reaction that would normally take less than a second, to take from 4 days to 4 years to complete Governmentium has a normal half-life of 2 to 6 years. It does not decay, but instead undergoes a reorganisation in which a portion of the assistant neutrons and deputy neutrons exchange places.

In fact, Governmentium's mass will actually increase over time, since each reorganisation will cause more morons to become neutrons, forming isodopes.

This characteristic of moron promotion leads some scientists to believe that Governmentium is formed whenever morons reach a critical concentration. This hypothetical quantity is referred to as a critical morass. When catalysed with money, Governmentium becomes Administratium (symbol=Ad), an element that radiates just as much energy as Governmentium, since it has half as many pillocks but twice as many morons".

john bunyan 21:58 25 Apr 15

You forgot the spider boson, which causes a left spin in the SNP quark, giving it a mass such that 5 million SNP neutrons weigh the same as 50 million non SNP neutrons. This will make the Gv element less stable.

john bunyan 15:46 27 Apr 15

spider9

the feelings up here right now

Sadly, I think you are right. The hysteria surrounding Nicola Sturgeon, who , after all, is not a candidate for Westminster, is, frankly, amazing. I am sad, as her fiscal policies, if you study them, are disastrous - but, so be it, if that is what the Scots want - fine. As long as we quickly move to most issues (except Defence and foreign policy plus intelligence agencies) being totally devolved, with oil revenue going to Scotland and abolishing Barnett, I would be happy. Not sure why the Scottish MP's can vote on purely English matters, though.

john bunyan 18:59 27 Apr 15

spider9

I will be brief, as I want to watch the dear leader being interviewed by Euan Davis at 7.30 on BBC1 soon.

With full fiscal responsibility including oil revenues and only, say 3 to 4% to go to rUK for defence, foreign aid, intelligence agencies etc, there would be no Barnett formula so each NHS would be funded separately. Matters that are totally devolved should, in my view, only be voted on by the relevant country's MP's.

I am coming to the view that a Labour government , supported by SNP on a vote by vote basis may be a not bad result.

It would quash the EU referendum, and on defence issues and other really extreme left policies, the Tories would vote with Labour if the SNP pushed such extreme issues. (Just as the SNP were pleased for Tory support in the Scottish Parliament when they were in a minority there.)

On the other hand an outright Tory win , or if supported by UKIP, would inevitably lead to a EU referendum and a second, this time a "Yes" Scottish referendum.

john bunyan 22:53 27 Apr 15

spider9

I thought Nicola Sturgeon did very well - probably the most competent of the party leaders as an interviewee. I thought Evan Davis completely failed to test her on fiscal matters - her constant use of the word "progressive" showed litotes. Davis did not press her enough on the cost of her policies. A good interview from her point of view.

The West Lothian question was fudged, as was the issue of total fiscal responsibility and the abolition of Barnett, but that was Davis' fault.

john bunyan 09:07 28 Apr 15

spider9

Your least favourite UK paper had a picture alleged to have been bought for her by her husband :

Dom Nicola

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…