DeJa Vu

Seth Haniel 08:26 10 Mar 10

click here
Large Hadron Collider to shut down for a year to address safety concerns

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:47 10 Mar 10

'"You don't hear about the thousands or hundreds of thousands of other areas that have gone incredibly well'..the cynic inside me does ask what these might be. I keep getting visions of the ill-fated Beagle mission.

G

Grey Goo 09:38 10 Mar 10

They have to keep themselves in a job, not a great CV entry under skills "Helped create a Large Hadron Collider"
Still they're not alone in this wheeze. During the recent Snow the Council employed their resident "Contractor" to hurtle round the streets with JCB's.They cleverly wrecked a large proportion of kerbing in their zeal. Now they can spend the Summer bodging them back up until next time.

Mr Mistoffelees 10:06 10 Mar 10

Could any of you design and build a machine, of such complexity, and guarantee to get it absolutely right first time?

Seth Haniel 10:11 10 Mar 10

even the scientists still don't know what they have built or what it will do - all open ended at moment

bri-an 10:44 10 Mar 10

I'll bet there were a number of 'failures' before the wheel was invented as well - and doubtless appropriate cavemen on the sidelines complaining.

These things will always happen, because it's in man's nature to 'go into the unknown'. Without it we'd still be in caves.

interzone55 11:44 10 Mar 10

"all open ended at moment"

Maybe that's the problem, all the hadrons or whatever are falling out at the end...

john bunyan 13:58 10 Mar 10

I heard an interview where a guy from CERN said a 4 month maitenance per year was normal for all their colliders etc, and the plan was to join two lots of maintenance tgether and make it last for two years.

Seth Haniel 14:51 10 Mar 10

hope they're better at colliding than maths ;)

oldbeefer3 15:22 10 Mar 10

Like this? click here

morddwyd 20:01 10 Mar 10

"I keep getting visions of the ill-fated Beagle mission."

I thought it was generally accepted that Darwin did quite well, and helped to advance science to a considerable degree?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…