Death in an instant

TopCat® 16:24 11 Jun 09

because two bikers failed to grow up. Definitely can't pin this tragic event on the young and foolhardy, can you?

What a stupid, needless waste of a life. TC. click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:51 11 Jun 09

'A verdict of accidental death was recorded '...accidental? Am I missing teh obvious here?

G

laurie53 19:48 11 Jun 09

Something about the roads in Cornwall; did my first ton there back in the fifties, when the dual carriageways stopped at the Tamar, and there were no disc brakes.

However, in my case you can blame the young and foolhardy.

Been a biker all my life, long before a national speed limit, but that sort of speed on a public road is simply a suicide looking for somewhere to happen.

Forum Editor 20:00 11 Jun 09

of a 20 year old man who popped out to buy some steaks for a barbecue one Summer's evening. He was returning in his Mini when a biker doing an estimated 120mph hit him head on rounding a corner. The biker was killed outright, and the Mini driver died in hospital.

I can still remember the look on the mother's face as she related the story to me, some six months after her son's death.

Motorbikes can bring great pleasure to sensible riders, but can be unguided missiles in the hands of the foolhardy.

jakimo 21:38 11 Jun 09

A sentence as severe as that is enough to deter anyone from being a reckless road user,but Id be surprised if Mr Bowden didn't find a legal aid lawyer to appeal against such a harsh punishment.

Autoschediastic 23:39 11 Jun 09

In 1998 i had a Gsxr750 Hypersports with the twin spots & upside down forks, i was going throu a crossroads when some idiot deliberately jumped the lights & smashed into 2 other cars & i went over the bike & over his roof, i woke up with the ambulance driver asking me what day it was & then he was asking me weird questions...i had temp memory loss & when i found out the car driver had jumped the lights to try & get home to watch his favourite soap on the TV i was full of anger! its not just bikes its everyone! its all down to awareness & carefull driving! had i of been going at the speed limit i maybe wouldnt of been here replying to this thread.??

Stuartli 00:22 12 Jun 09

Ironically, over many years' driving, I've witnessed around eight or nine accidents involving motor cyclists.

In every case the motor cyclist was completely blameless.

mrwoowoo 01:29 12 Jun 09

Please tell me your'e having a laugh.
"such a harsh punishment"
If he behaves himself for the required term,then his punishment is effectively nothing.Not even a fine.
Am i missing something?

Kevscar1 07:06 12 Jun 09

Anyone who does those sort of speeds should be made to recover the bodies from a fatal accident.
Lifting a seventeen year old girl from a car wrecked by a speeding bike thinking she might still be alive, laying her on the ground and finding you have left 1 side of her head still inside the car was one of the worst things I have ever done.
They should then be made to deliver the death message to her parents and watch the disbelief, shock, denial and horror pass across their faces and know their lives will never be the same again.
Maybe that might stop some of them

AL47 07:28 12 Jun 09

if it was only ever the person speeding who ended up dead it wouldnt bother me, its that persons decision, im never been interested in owning a bike cus i know id end up dead, the temptation to speed excessively must be pretty high

Chris the Ancient 09:23 12 Jun 09

According to Wikipedia...

An accident is a specific, identifiable, unexpected, unusual and unintended external action which occurs in a particular time and place, without apparent or deliberate cause but with marked effects. It implies a generally negative probabilistic outcome which may have been avoided or prevented had circumstances leading up to the accident been recognized, and acted upon, prior to its occurrence.

'Nuff said?

It is about time that some coroners, judges, magistrates etc. understood what accident means.

Even now, The Highway Code doesn't use the word "accident"; it is an incident, collision or crash.

For someone to behave so stupidly as shown in that incident, the charge should really be murder. They had wilfully used the motorcycle in a totally inappropriate manner and as a lethal weapon. They knew what the consequences of their actions could well be and totally ignored the potential outcome.

Ends rant and dismounts from soapbox.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…