Death of the Digestive Biscuit.

frybluff 14:37 31 Mar 12

Article on TV, yesterday, about McVities changing their digestive biscuits to reduce fat, ruining taste and making them ridiculously brittle. Slightly embarrassing, as I had just been berating manager of local supermarket about packets of broken digestives, that I had assumed was due to their rough handling.

Why do manufacturers assume it's right to try to make products, that were never intended to be "healthy", like biscuits, cake, chocolate, suddenly healthy. Are they right to think we are all too thick to enjoy "indulgances", in moderation?

Earthsea 14:56 31 Mar 12

Because it's a consumer driven market, and they like to buy 'healthy' products, even if it tastes like doggy doo, because it makes them feel like they're looking after their lardy bodies.

proudfoot 15:32 31 Mar 12

"Because it's a consumer driven market" I think not. It is the foody faddies who impose what they think is good for us. Not always the case. I have been dunking my digestives for nearly 70 years and they have not done me much harm. A lady friend of mine once told me everything she liked was either illegal immoral or fattening. She was great fun to be with. I will continue to eat and do everything I enjoy. Life is for enjoying.

lotvic 15:38 31 Mar 12

A couple of biscuits a day is my treat. I've started baking a lot of my own biscuits now (newish hobby), I thought the taste of bought ones had definitely 'gone off' - most just tasted of sawdust paste. Also can't remember the last time we actually bought a cake, buns etc. The bread thread is tempting me to try that next.

I think the manufacturers have got it wrong tastewise, certainly they have lost my custom. The 'lardies' don't seem able to eat anything in moderation, I can only suppose they need to be able to eat a full packet and still only have the same fat content as you would have got previously from a one or two biscuits.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:28 31 Mar 12

Get the ones with chocolate on them (that will hold them together) although these don't dunk too well, but who cares, they taste good.

Aitchbee 17:35 31 Mar 12

Tea biscuits can withstand dunking longer than digestives...I have found.

Bingalau 19:16 31 Mar 12

a little of what you fancy does you good.

morddwyd 20:53 31 Mar 12

"It is the foody faddies who impose what they think is good for us."

No it's not. It's once again down to successive "nanny state" governments.

Does anyone think that Heinz, for instance, would have introduced their reduced sugar and reduced salt (and reduced taste!) baked beans without massive government pressure, no matter how loud the "food faddies" shouted?

While very few people would doubt that something needs to be dome about obesity levels, and other results of unhealthy eating, in this country, it should be done by introducing big taxes on sugar, salt, fats and the like so that those who wish to abuse their bodies are penalised, not the rest of us who would like to enjoy an occasional "original recipe" digestive (which incidentally I hate! Each to his own.)

We do it with smokers and binge drinkers.

Why not with gluttons?

Aitchbee 21:53 31 Mar 12

Some biscuits have got tiny holes in them, when you look thru' the holes, you can do away with your specs.

Condom 14:09 01 Apr 12

Broken digestive biscuits takes me back to the day when you could go into most grocers and buy a penny bag of broken biscuits. I then moved on to unwrapped mishaped chocolate biscuits as one of our neighbours worked in McDonalds who were the original makers of Penguin biscuits and YoYo's and he was able to get 2/6p bags of rejects every week.

Never did me any harm and I do still like my McVities half chocolate digestives in plain chocolate and my Tunnocks dark choclate caramel wavers. Mine don't last long enough to be dunked:-)

proudfoot 09:26 02 Apr 12

Condom. I too remember buying a pennies worth of broken biscuite in the early 50s on th way home from the swimming pool. We were always starving. Those were the days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…