The death of dial-up?

CurlyWhirly 21:08 18 Sep 04

Is this the end? click here

justme 23:16 18 Sep 04

I can only hope so now that BT have finally decided that they actually want the broadband business.

In my area the exchange will not be updated until just before Christmas, and I for one cannot wait.

It is my sincere hope that the person at my ISP who goes round disconnecting dial up users (whether they are downloading or not) will soon be made redundant. It may be my imagination, but as the number of dial-up users drops so does the time between disconnections.

CurlyWhirly 14:24 19 Sep 04

I can only hope so now that BT have finally decided that they actually want the broadband business.

I think that BT may NEED the broadband business as it seems that they are continually losing customers to other telecom companies like NTL, Telewest, etc.
I am of course referring to the cost of the actual telephone calls themselves.

LastChip 15:27 19 Sep 04

It's not that I use dial-up very often, but for configuring a new machine for a client or just checking to see, on the rare occasion that you can't connect to broadband, whether it's your machine, or the ISP's service that is the problem, dial-up is invaluable.

It's always available for me as a backup and long may that continue.

Forum Editor 18:00 19 Sep 04

but not yet, by a long chalk. Dial up connections still vastly outnumber broadband - the great majority of UK internet connections are still narrowband.

The UK connection figures speak for themselves:

Pay as you go/free dial-up: 35%

Unmetered dial-up: 29%

Always-on broadband: 31%

CurlyWhirly 22:39 19 Sep 04

I do agree with you but eventually I feel that dial-up WILL become extinct apart from the very small number of people who still can't get broadband even after BT's new limits came into force on 6th September.

Forum Editor 23:34 19 Sep 04

of thinking that everyone with a computer wants a broadband connection - because nothing could be further from the truth. There are many people who use the internet regularly, but for short periods - perhaps to download their email, and occasionally to find a holiday etc. They're not particularly interested in broadband,they can get a free dial up connection and they're happy to pay the call charges.

There are huge numbers of these people, and they'll ensure that dial-up connections don't become extinct.

CurlyWhirly 23:42 19 Sep 04

I take your point about dial-up 'light usage' users and their willingness to pay the call charges.
I forgot about these people when I posted this thread - doh!

dave.engsurv 10:12 20 Sep 04

Broadband may be good for some, ie business, but lets be clear. If the information is sent slow then its not much use having broadband speed. Just as having a 70mph motorway is no advantage if you only have a car cabable of only 30mph! Also if the motorway is full, ie M25, then everyone has slow down. So what is the answer???

CurlyWhirly 15:44 20 Sep 04

I don't know what the answer is but I would NEVER go back to a dial-up connection.
It has revolutinised the way I use the internet like for example when I was on dial-up I only used to spend around 30 minutes a day (mainly reading e-mails) but since having broadband I find myself on the net for hours at a time!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…