Dead Gardens

Quickbeam 09:53 09 Jan 11

What with all this super cold winter we're having I note that 5 garden shrubs don't look like they'll spring back to life in the spring, numerous border plants have shrivelled beyond existence and my olive tree that I've had from a cutting from Italy for 12 years looks like it a goner, all the leaves are gone which isn't too good for an evergreen.
I think maybe the garden centres will do very well this year.

jack O'lantern 11:37 09 Jan 11

Once the snow had cleared I had to take down a number of large rose busahes and a Pyrocantha that had collapsed under the weight of snow,prune and stake a tree that had nearly come down and the result?
5 trips to the dump with a builders fabric bag full in the back of the car- and one more loaded to take to-morrow on the way home from the gym.

Bingalau 11:54 09 Jan 11

Quickbeam. I'n no gardener but I should wait and see if I were you.

Forum Editor 12:17 09 Jan 11

Your Olive tree might recover, although it might take a while, it depends how much frost got to it, how old the tree is,and how low the temperature went.

A mature olive can tolerate temperatures as low as minus 12C and still survive, but very young trees may not. If yours is only twelve years old it may well have succumbed - you'll have to wait and see.

Quickbeam 12:30 09 Jan 11

I will of coarse wait until the last minute before writing my olive tree off. It's survived several winters already with frosts, which they do get on the steep mountain olive groves of Italy and Grease. But last December was consistently around minus 10/12C for 18 days on the trot. It's never lost more than a couple of couple of dozen leaves over a winter and the new growth that stops for the winter is most definitely frost bitten and black. If it recovers, it will be from new shoots from the thicker branches.

I've always had the notion of having a Martini in the garden with my own olive in it, but they just don't ripen in the British summer sun, the birds like them though.

wee eddie 12:31 09 Jan 11

Don't despair. Many shrubs will recover, but there may be a certain amount of dead wood on some. If you feel the need to prune, leave it to the next year if possible and just remove any dead wood once the leaves have set.

The Garden Centres will be in much the same boat as you.

I can remember one elderly Gardner, who lived on the Essex/Suffolk Boarders where it can get mighty cold when the East Wind blows, saying that some shrubs actually benefit from a harsh winter.

michaelw 12:32 09 Jan 11

An old veteran gardener once told me that sometimes trees and shrubs can be resuscitated by epsom salts mixed with hot water. It worked for me.

finerty 13:30 09 Jan 11

after all this cold i found a spider in my car dangling on its web sliding down

QuizMan 20:54 10 Jan 11

The weather has certainly taken its toll. A number of shrubs are now leaning over following the weight of snow they had to be bear. I think they may well recover with some heavy pruning.

In some cases, though, it may be time to be unsentimental and chop them down. Perhaps it is appropriate to grow a few more fruit and vegetables in the newly available space.

Grey Goo 10:14 11 Jan 11

Gardens always look a bit crabby at this time but the low temperature has caused a bit of limpness in certain plants. Managed to get out and shake the snow off the more valuable specimens as it formed so not too mishapen. Winter Jasmine has fought back and is now in bloom again.

Quickbeam 10:34 11 Jan 11

The bark on my olive tree is now splitting along the line of the branches. That doesn't bode too well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos