Daylight Saving Time

morddwyd 09:42 29 Jun 11

Once again we have a call to keep the clocks one hour ahead all the time, one of the benefits being that this will bring us into line with Central European Time (CET).

link text

Do people not realise that CET also has Daylight Saving Time, and we would only be in line with CET for half of the year?

To follow CET for the whole year would involve the clocks being forward for two hours, not just one, in the summer, and in this neck of the woods that means the sun shining into my bedroom at 11.00 at night!

wee eddie 10:22 29 Jun 11

What fascinates me is that people appear to be Slaves to the Clock.

They start work when the little hand points to the left and the big hand points straight up. How stupid is that.

You start work when the Customer or the Boss needs your services. ~ Period.

Quickbeam 10:43 29 Jun 11

We've been slaves to the clock since at least the industrial revolution.

I'm in favour of BST all the year around, no buggering around with the time at all. The extra pm light in the winter is more use than am daylight.

HondaMan 10:55 29 Jun 11

The extra pm light in the winter is more use than am daylight.

Hear, hear.

Why we cannot settle on BST all-tear round is beyond me.. What's that I hear, "The little darlings need daylight to get to school safely?". Tough! Teach 'em to use the road proper, like wot I dun wen at skool!

ams4127 11:37 29 Jun 11

I agree. Let's have BST all year round.

john bunyan 11:51 29 Jun 11

Why not keep things as they are but have more flexible working hours to reflect the local situation? Schools in Scotland could easily start earlier or later (in clock terms), as could banks etc.

Covergirl 12:11 29 Jun 11

Wee Eddie - you appear to be a slave to your customer or boss, so don't be scathing of others who have to clock on/off and get paid by time put in at the place of work.

Leave it as it is I say.

wee eddie 16:24 29 Jun 11

Covergirl: I am sorry that you read that into my posting. Perhaps I should have tried to be less erudite.

To simplify things. Why do people expect to start at the same time of day throughout the year when the sun rises at different times and also does so in different parts of the World?

At one point, during my short Career on the Floor of the London Stock Exchange, the Senior Partner delegated 3 of us to Trade the American Markets. We started work at different times, 2pm, 5pm and 8pm, if I remember rightly, with all of us finishing just after 6am.

Strawballs 23:53 29 Jun 11

I start work at 16:00 and finish at 01:15!

Quickbeam 07:45 30 Jun 11

...but none of the above methods will stop the daylight ebbing away towards December.

Aitchbee 20:51 11 Jul 11

Up in the Highlands of Scotland, street lights are being switched off at night...to save energy... by the local authorities. Is it viable? Is it safe? And is it the shape of things to come?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…