Dartford Crossing toll charge to be increased

wids001 11:50 21 Oct 10

George Osborne has announced, as part of the spending review, that the tolls (for cars) will rise from £1.50 to £2.00 next year and to £2.50 in 2012.

click here

Apparently the money will by used to explore ways to improve traffic flow.

Do they take us for idiots! I can tell them how to do that now, without any need to increase the fees.

Abolish them (as they originally said they would do).

birdface 12:01 21 Oct 10

Absolutely rediculas this was all paid for over 6 years ago and they are still charging for it.
I would call it fraud I am not sure what others think.
I can see the point of maybe charging one way to pay for the upkeep but to raise charges is wrong.

Bingalau 12:33 21 Oct 10

Don't mention the Mersey Tunnel which when completed in 1936, was to be toll free after ten years. By then it was estimated it would have been well and truly paid for. It was paid up of course but the tolls remained and have risen ever since. Can't take your bike through for a tanner nowadays. In fact you can't take a bike through unless it is carried in a vehicle of some sort.

I think all road tolls should be done away with as we pay for the roads many times over with our Road Tax.

Quickbeam 12:35 21 Oct 10

What about the Forth Road Bridge? I read sometime ago that it was paid for when it was still half a crown to cross!

Macscouse 12:40 21 Oct 10

The Forth Road bridge, and all Scottish bridges, are now toll free.

jakimo 12:45 21 Oct 10

'I think all road tolls should be done away with as we pay for the roads many times over with our Road Tax.'

If that were only true,most of it has gone into the Governments coffers,road repair & replacement are usually paid for by local taxation

Quickbeam 12:49 21 Oct 10

Macscouse, That's within the last 5 years since I got out of transport then.

jakimo 12:52 21 Oct 10

I should have mentioned that my local authority recently had a £19M grant from the EU for a road bypass

birdface 13:27 21 Oct 10

It was free about 5 years ago when I used it last.
Before that you paid only one way when leaving the area.

Bingalau 14:02 21 Oct 10

Yes the Tamar bridge is run that way, You pay one way only. However it is along way around if you want to get to the other side free.

Forum Editor 18:30 21 Oct 10

and I don't resent paying the toll - I realise that it costs a lot of money to maintain tunnels and bridges.

I pay a lot more to drive into Central London three or four times a week.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac