Darren Pattinson WHO?

day2strike 11:04 18 Jul 08

Nottinghamshire pace bowler Darren Pattinson was handed a sensational England debut ahead of the second Test against South Africa at Headingley.

So what about Harmisson, Hoggard & Mahmood?
Is this a great choice by the selectors or just a 1 test wonder?

Quickbeam 13:00 18 Jul 08

"Is this a great choice by the selectors or just a 1 test wonder?"

I'll let you know after I get back from Edgbaston;)

I think they're being quite brave in trying a new player in a test scenario ready for next years Ashes series. You need to be aggressive in your player choice to take the Aussies on... and win.

Quickbeam 13:40 18 Jul 08

"Pattinson, the 29-year-old former roof tiler who was born in Grimsby but raised in Australia" click here

That explains a lot, the Australian ethos in sport is 'It's the winning that counts, not the taking part!'

day2strike 14:33 18 Jul 08

11 first class match's & aged 30.
So the youth policy of playing players in their 20's is out.
Geoff Miller & Co could have egg on their faces if this goes wrong!

Forum Editor 15:10 18 Jul 08

'It's the winning that counts, not the taking part!'

Well it is, isn't it? We spend so much time whingeing about our sportsmen and women in this country, and why? Because we don't win things.

Everyone who runs a race, or picks up a fencing foil, or a javelin, or walks out onto a cricket field does it with the intention (and hope) of winning. Don't tell me that any of them do it just for the fun of competing.

laurie53 20:02 18 Jul 08

"Don't tell me that any of them do it just for the fun of competing."

That's certainly why I used to go bowling. I was never anywhere near the regular winners levels, but the occasional chance of a 200 game, or helping my team stay off the bottom, if not actually getting to the top, was good fun.

Yes, in the sports I was good at (shooting, X Crountry) I competed to win, but in the others, and there were several, I competed for fun.

J B 20:12 18 Jul 08

Not much of a batsman but quite a good bowler with 44 wickets to his name this season. I think that if he doesn't let the big occasion get to him and plays his normal game then who knows. Could be good for the team. I remember when Monty Panesar came on the scene something similar was said. J.B.

Kaacee 20:47 18 Jul 08

I think he was selected on a "horses for courses" basis, Headingly is known for assisting swing bowlers and he is a fine swing bowler.

Quickbeam 10:08 19 Jul 08

"Don't tell me that any of them do it just for the fun of competing."

No, I was just having a jibe at the recent FA decision to not have winners for under 8s in case being labeled as losers traumatises them... When I got beat at anything the incentive to not be a loser was to try harder and be a winner. I didn't get traumatised, I got real life experience... you can't always win!

Quickbeam 10:09 19 Jul 08

None of the team gave a sterling account yesterday:(

Quickbeam 15:07 19 Jul 08

Well, he's taken their 3rd wicket...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now