A dark day..

DANZIG 11:53 22 Nov 07

Firstly I'm not a footy fan however I would like to see England win something so, yes, I was disappointed in yesterdays performance.

I was watching the coverage on news24 about the sacking of Steve Mclaren and El Tel and I was amazed! To begin with I thought someone had died! - OK, two people have lost their jobs and that is always sad but get a grip! Its a game of football not the end of the world!

Its not all bad news for Mr Mclaren though - I heard on talksport radio hes getting a golden handshake of a million quid. Not bad for not performing well enough.

Si_L 12:10 22 Nov 07

I heard 2 million.

McClaren, 46, who had a four-year deal, is expected to be paid more than £2m in compensation and ex-Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho and Martin O'Neill are the bookies' favourites to succeed him.

From the BBC site.

Its disgusting, I could put 2 million to much better use.

dagbladet 12:11 22 Nov 07

He was 18 months into a 4 year contract. Unless the contract specifically stated that he had to qualify for Euro 2008, then he has not breached his contract. Therefore he's entitled to be compensated like anybody else in that position. Given that the FA once again finds itself in this position, perhaps there is scope for a review of whoever (Brian Barwick perhaps?)is doing the hiring and firing.

Si_L 12:15 22 Nov 07

"Unless the contract specifically stated that he had to qualify for Euro 2008, then he has not breached his contract."

Except that it did. That was the whole point of hiring him, and it was in his contract.
Give him nothing, and spend 2 million on improving/building coaching facilities so that in 12 years time we might actually have a chance.

Better still, give the money to charity. Its never going to happen though. Shame.

dagbladet 12:22 22 Nov 07

"Except that it did. That was the whole point of hiring him, and it was in his contract"

Was it?

It may have been expected, but was it in his contract?

interzone55 12:33 22 Nov 07

Have you read Mr McLaren's contract?

Brian Barwick merely states that qualification was expected, not that it was stipulated in his contract.

DANZIG 12:35 22 Nov 07

Yes, I've just heard its 2 million as well....I'm in the wrong job!

SANTOS7 14:31 22 Nov 07

Whats the diference betweeen the England squad and Lewis hamilton..

Lewis hamilton will still have a McLaren tomorrow....

dagbladet 15:22 22 Nov 07

Si_L

Where did you see that it is written in his contract?

DieSse 15:42 22 Nov 07

If, as was clearly stated, that a minimum level of performance was to qualify for the European Championship - then it was a term of his contract just as surely as if it was written down.

In any case where do these people get off - someone is mightily incompetent if they allow such a payout under these circumstances, or drew up a contract that allowed it.

It's totally outrageous that such sums are paid and bandied about as if no-one has a care in the world.

Jim Thing 17:05 22 Nov 07

"It's totally outrageous that such sums are paid and bandied about as if no-one has a care in the world."

A million or two is chickenfeed in the La-La-Land that is the top level of present-day English football.

But don't get me started about Sky, obscene amounts of money swilling around in the Premiership, etc.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…