The dangers of car maintenance

Belatucadrus 01:53 13 Nov 07
Answered

click here
Let me see: screwdriver, spanners, release oil, twelve bore. Yep everything seems in place.

wiz-king 05:32 13 Nov 07

The nut must have been done up with a compressed air gun!

egapup 08:28 13 Nov 07

Is that what they call an American spanner??

laurie53 08:47 13 Nov 07

Sounded to me like the nut was done up with alcohol, but they swear he was sober!

Bingalau 09:54 13 Nov 07

We will have to change that saying "Never trust a matelot with a gun" to "Never trust a Yank with a gun" They keep proving how incompetent they are with one.

Pamy 14:20 13 Nov 07

I don't think the nut was on the wheel

Chegs ®™ 14:44 13 Nov 07

I possess a windy gun(same as used by garages)and its residing at the back of the shed as its unable to compete with a wheelbrace and 6ft of scaffold tube,bit inconveinient to carry round in the boot for roadside repairs but after a trip to a garage to have tyres changed I always go round and slacken then torque the nuts back up so I can actually undo them if ever needed.I started doing this after a garage had tightened the nuts so tight I couldnt undo them when I collected a puncture on the M6,and had to resort to calling the (free with my insurance renewal) AA/RAC (or whatever the actual recoveryman was called) and wait their assistance.I also know several of the guys who work at the tyre depot personally,and its kind of a "works joke" between them to see just how tight they can get the nuts without shearing off a stud.When the Boss started receiving heaps of complaints though,they were all issued a memo stating they had to use a torque-wrench(which just meant they now had a means to measure reasonably accurately how tight they'd got the nuts before a stud sheared)I now use a much nearer tyre services as he works alone(nobody to compete against)and he also adds a smear of grease to the studs because even the tiniest bit of rust can make a nut lock so tight a scaffold tube on the wheelbrace results in the stud shearing anyways.

laurie53 15:41 13 Nov 07

Remember the old tip of putting the end of your wheelbrace on your screw jack and standing on it (the wheel brace, not the jack!)?

Nowadays you don't even get a wheelbrace that would stand that sort of treatment, let alone a decent screw jack.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:06 13 Nov 07

:0)

I thought the army expression was:-

If it moves shoot it
If it doesnt move paint it.

but of course the Yanks do everything backwards.

WhiteTruckMan 23:35 13 Nov 07

not too long ago.

click here

as it was parked next to my car and I happened to have my camera with me. The owner saw the flash and got out of his car to 'see if I was looking for trouble'. He changed his mind when I got out as well -I'm not exactly a 9 stone weakling, even without my hat- but when I pointed out the snapped stud he just shrugged and said there were still 3 more nuts holding the wheel on. I felt like takeing hold of one of his ears and making him stand in a corner!

WTM

Quickbeam 08:35 14 Nov 07

"'If you lose your wheel nuts when changing a wheel, take one from each of the other wheels. You'll be quite safe on three nuts while you drive slowly to a garage.'"

I can understand that you could possibly lose one, but to lose them all is just gross incompetence.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…